Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

riva head studs..and oem gasket..torque specs?

installed a set of the riva /arp head studs with a oem gasket a little back..torqued them to 85 ft lbs...had the head serviced a shaved..so it was true...not sure i have a problem...but coolant is going somewhere...may be a leaking fitting havent had a chance to look yet..

but i think oceman did a couple of times..and not sure but we think psychorxp jason may as well... we all have the same set up...

just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or they should be torqued higher than that...

going to be a little frustrated if i have a blown head gasket after ony 10 -15 hours...trying to do it right so it lasts...

+1
    To be honest I think before I switched to open loop I lost some two with studs and a riva gasket torqued to 85. The head bolt pattern is not friendly with very high boost. Chad, ibadtons ski is doing the same thing with his 68/140. He has just been filling his overflow back up.

+1
    I hear some guys torque to 90-95ft/lbs.

+1
    You install the new IC yet?

+1
    Ya , Mine is leaking out the overflow tube and into the hull on WOT passes. Still runs great, but now throwing my AFR's all over the place as well. I torqued to final @ 85ft/lbs, and even re-torqued after a heat cycle or 2.

Got a new gasket on the way this week, will have to try 90-95lbs this time I guess.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Ya , Mine is leaking out the overflow tube and into the hull on WOT passes. Still runs great, but now throwing my AFR's all over the place as well. I torqued to final @ 85ft/lbs, and even re-torqued after a heat cycle or 2.

Got a new gasket on the way this week, will have to try 90-95lbs this time I guess.
    Jason I saw a couple or articles online that suggest that there is not much you can do about it given the poor bolt pattern of the seadoo head. Just not enough bolt surface/bolts themselves to hold down the boost pressure??

When you say your AFR are all over WOT can you elaborate?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    Jason I saw a couple or articles online that suggest that there is not much you can do about it given the poor bolt pattern of the seadoo head. Just not enough bolt surface/bolts themselves to hold down the boost pressure??

When you say your AFR are all over WOT can you elaborate?
    I never had problems before the studs with stock gasket, bolts, and Rude1 . I know this puts out a little more, but As soon as we all went to studs this happens at that torque value. They didn't seem to be as tight as the stretch bolts go to , from what I remember. The Stockers seem like they almost want to snap off when putting them to final settings.

My AFR is now reading 7.4-8.9 all the time, which can't be right. I even recalibrated it 2 times to open air. Maybe the coolant in the exhaust, from the gasket leaking, took out my O2 sensor, or made it read really rich.??

the higher torque setting is what i was maybe thinking..as jason said....they hold withthe stock set up....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    the higher torque setting is what i was maybe thinking..as jason said....they hold withthe stock set up....
    Who says they hold with the stock setup?? my AFR bounces a bit WOT 11.9 to like 11.5 but nothing like you mention. Then again the LC1 bounces a little at most RPM's.

no i think the af is another issue..

i am talking about the head gaskets not blowing...with stock streach bolts...and gaskets...

i am starting to think 85 isnt enough torque..

i am hoping to get to my intercooler prodject the first part of next week..after in get this 944 done and delivered..i have a few things i need to do to it..

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information