Question 1 cylinder not firing on a 2004 XLT1200

I took my XLT1200 out and noticed the engine was runing rough and would not ramp up the RPMs very well. I disconnected the high tension wire to the spark plugs one at a time and found that cylinder 2 was not firing. I plugged the cylinder 1 cable to the cylinder 2 plug and that cylinder started firing. I have been looking at a lot of posts here but don't know the best way to test the electronics and the boat is stored in a remote location. I will try ohming out the ingniter coil for cylinder 2. I do not have any special harness to test the CDI so I don't know what I can test there. I have also read about the stator. Could that also be a problem and is there a way to test it? Any guidance would be great. Also the machine is stock except the pump plug kit.

Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1
    I would try and swith the coils and see if the non fireing one works on the other one. If id does you know coil is good. Then I would think your CDI is bad. Where are you located? If its not the coils then just pay for shipping and I have a spare CDI you are more then welcome to try out.

I will try that along with ohming the coils. Do you know a way to test the CDI without the connectors? Oh and I live in Portland Oregon.

Ok so I may have been wrong about the igniter coil for cylinder 2 not firing. I do not have a gap tester but I pluged in a spark plug and grounded it for each of the coils and all three had the same spark from what I could visually see. Without an arc gap tester I don't know how to be more acurate with this but they all had a good spark on the plug. It looks like I still have cylinder 2 not firing but it may be a non electrical issue. I shined a flashlight thru the spark plug hole and it didn't look very bad. I am thinking I need to verify compresion and if good rebuild the carb next. Any other thoughts. How difficult is the carb rebuild? I am mechanically incline but have not done much with engines. I work mostly on high tech industrial equipment.

definitely do the compression first. That should always be the first thing whenever something isn't quite right. It really helps narrow the problem down quickly. Sounds like you lost a cylinder but do the compression and we'll see.

Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by icky002 View Post
    definitely do the compression first. That should always be the first thing whenever something isn't quite right. It really helps narrow the problem down quickly. Sounds like you lost a cylinder but do the compression and we'll see.
    +1 to this. Also not a huge job but maybe pull off the head and check the cylinders Also nice to confirm that a powervalve didnt brake and about to drop.

Thread Information