Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jetski trailer

Jetski trailer

I took two double jetski trailers and put them together by cutting off the tougue on one of them. I am not sure where I should place the two axles. The front trailer has a long tongue. Most trailers seem to place the axle two thirds the total lenght of the trailer back. I placed that two thirds to be between the two axles,is that right,or should I be making my measurments excluding the tongue?

I'm slower than you are!...Oh, wait...
    You're trying to make a quad jetski trailer?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddyj1 View Post
    I took two double jetski trailers and put them together by cutting off the tougue on one of them. I am not sure where I should place the two axles. The front trailer has a long tongue. Most trailers seem to place the axle two thirds the total lenght of the trailer back. I placed that two thirds to be between the two axles,is that right,or should I be making my measurments excluding the tongue?
    take and post pics so we can understand the method to your madness

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    This pic might help. You want plenty of tongue weight... the farther back the better! (to an extent)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fd8e22e3-75f2-4b02-bb9c-893a67b1eaae.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	210703

Don't you mean, "the closer UP to the front, the better?"

I have never seen one of these. I have a few questions: How do the mid ship cranks lower to allow the front skis to go over them? How do you launch and land all 4 skis? Do you have to move the tow vehicle twice for each operation?

Very cool!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra 130 BV View Post
    Don't you mean, "the closer UP to the front, the better?"

I have never seen one of these. I have a few questions: How do the mid ship cranks lower to allow the front skis to go over them? How do you launch and land all 4 skis? Do you have to move the tow vehicle twice for each operation?

Very cool!
    no the further to the front will make the back end too heavy and the ass end will swing going down the road because of 0 tounge weight...here is a picture from my 6 place trailer how the bump stops fold down
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fold1.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	210708  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddyj1 View Post
    I took two double jetski trailers and put them together by cutting off the tongue on one of them.

I am not sure where I should place the two axles. The front trailer has a long tongue.

Most trailers seem to place the axle two thirds the total length of the trailer back. I placed that two thirds to be between the two axles,is that right,or should I be making my measurements excluding the tongue?
    Axle placement determines tongue weight of the trailer.

You want about 7% to 10% of the total trailer weight (trailer plus PWC load) to be on the tongue.

A trailer acts like a see-saw. You always want the tongue end to be heavier than the rear end.

It is important to understand that the tongue weight must be within reason regardless of the number of PWC on the trailer. That means you need to do some thinking about where the PWC will sit, where the weight centers will be (center of gravity) for each PWC.

It also means that when you have the trailer partially loaded, the tongue weight must still be there. For three PWC, two would need to be in front, and one at the back. For two PWC, both would need to be up front, or over the axles (but still allowing for some tongue weight).

As you move the axle(s) rearward under the trailer frame, the tongue weight will increase. With dual axles, the center of the distance between the axles is the pivot point for the trailer 'see-saw', and moving the pivot point rearwards is what increases tongue weight.

In addition, the stress on the trailer frame will be much greater with your combined frames compared to the original separate trailers. With the axles where they need to be, the frame will be hanging out much farther in the back. You need to make sure the re-welded frame has the strength to handle the greatly increased stresses.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    no the further to the front will make the back end too heavy and the ass end will swing going down the road because of 0 tounge weight...here is a picture from my 6 place trailer how the bump stops fold down
    Uuuhhh, this is a series of contradictions.....

Tongue weight IS weight measured up front by the.......TONGUE.

Well described by Wikipedia: An important factor in towing safety is tongue weight, the weight with which the trailer presses down on the tow vehicle's hitch. Insufficient tongue weight can cause the trailer to sway back and forth when towed. Too much tongue weight can cause problems with the tow vehicle.[1]

The trailer will exhibit un stability because of low tongue weight, that is true. Too little and the trailer can begin to swing around unnecessarily when on the highway. Too much and you unnecessarily sag your tow vehicle and make moving your skis around by hand a PIA. lol

I would imagine that if this quad ski trailer is built properly, four skis on it will not outweigh the trailer itself, right? Would, say three skis on there, really make that much of a difference towing? I have a dual trailer and drove for a few years around with only one ski. I couldn't tell the difference whether it was on the right or the left....of course I tow with a full size Excursion 7.3.....

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Axle placement determines tongue weight of the trailer.

You want about 7% to 10% of the total trailer weight (trailer plus PWC load) to be on the tongue.

A trailer acts like a see-saw. You always want the tongue end to be heavier than the rear end.

It is important to understand that the tongue weight must be within reason regardless of the number of PWC on the trailer. That means you need to do some thinking about where the PWC will sit, where the weight centers will be (center of gravity) for each PWC.

It also means that when you have the trailer partially loaded, the tongue weight must still be there. For three PWC, two would need to be in front, and one at the back. For two PWC, both would need to be up front, or over the axles (but still allowing for some tongue weight).

In addition, the stress on the trailer frame will be much greater with your combined frames compared to the original separate trailers. With the axles where they need to be, the frame will be hanging out much farther in the back. You need to make sure the re-welded frame has the strength to handle the greatly increased stresses.

I agree with that. But to get ~140 lbs at my tongue I'd have to move my skis up another 2 1/2 feet. They'd be off the runners. My tongue weight is about 65 lbs. It doesn't swing and I can move the dual trailer around by hand easily.

Good discussion!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra 130 BV View Post
    ...to get ~140 lbs at my tongue I'd have to move my skis up another 2 1/2 feet. They'd be off the runners.

My tongue weight is about 65 lbs. It doesn't swing and I can move the dual trailer around by hand easily.

Good discussion!
    Dual PWC trailers handle differently that four place trailers, especially in regards to handling and weight distribution when partially loaded. The dual axles also have an effect. The longer four place frame flexes more, which can affect handling.

A dual PWC trailer is much less affected by having one or two PWC, as long as the tongue weight is within reason. Some trailers tow well with almost no tongue weight, others really require plenty of tongue weight to avoid trailer sway at highway speeds.

I expect that moving your PWC forward just a few inches would be enough to raise the tongue weight significantly. Every pound that moves from behind the axle to in front adds significantly to the tongue weight.

On a related note, on a dual trailer each PWC should be positioned so when just that one ski is loaded, the tongue weight is still correct (percentage-wise). When both PWC are loaded, the tongue weight will automatically be correct for the pair. That way, the trailer has a safe tongue weight regardless of the combination of PWC on the trailer. One, the other, or both.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information