chicago il

painting questions please chime in if you have custom paint

so i have a friend who is a really good motorcycle and automotive painter ( sick with the airbrush) i was thinking of doing a whole paint job on my hull but am afraid since ive read you need to use marine paint or gelcoat on the bottom... whos runing regular automotive paint like nice ppg stuff our house of kolors? how does it hold up and what should i use or not use.. please list pros and cons.. im new to boats and would love to hear some answers from people with some of these bad ass custom paint jobs on how they hold up and what was done special if anything... convince me so i dont just paint the cowls &have some airbrushing done to the top half to cover my flaws lol

i have ppg essential on the bottom of my sugarsand jet boat has been there for years. awesome paint for the price! still looks great. although i don't leave it in for long periods at a time. maby a week or so.

i painted my sl 650 with axzo nobel base and clear and planet colar tangerine candy i also do automtive paint for a living i only rode it once since i painted it but i didnt use any gel coat or anything like that just normal clear i put 4 coats of clear on the bottom of the ski i didnt wet sand and buff the clear as sanded and buffed clear with break or flake alot easyer then untoched clear it seamed to hold up nice as long as you sand good befor paint i dont thin you would have any problems with it we painted a boat awhile back used axzonobel on it to and the guy seams to love it no complanints and this was like a year ago we did his boat

Thread Information