MSX-110 Runs Perfectly, except when it doesn't?

I've got a 2004 MSX-110 with only about 50 hours on it. It's been a reliable machine, up until this summer. 99% of the time it fires right up and runs perfectly, but I've had it fail on me three times. The first time was riding along pretty much full throttle, hit some mild chop, and it shut off. It turned over, but wouldn't fire. About the time someone got us all tied up to tow us in, it started back up and ran fine. The next day, we used it all day with no problems.

The next time we were using it for about an hour, then stopped at the sand bar for a minute, and when we went to start it back up, it did the same thing... turns over, but doesn't start. We waited it out for about 20 minutes, and eventually it started again. The final time, my brother was riding it, so I don't know the details, but it stalled again, and he had it started back up in about 2-3 minutes.

The only consistent thing I'm seeing is that it's warmed up when this is happening. Someone suggested it might be a loose connection at the lanyard, but if that's not in place, it won't even turn over. It was also suggested that it could be the fuel pump, but at $400-600 for one of those, I'd like to be more confident that is the problem.

As I said, most of the time it fires up instantly and runs perfectly. There is no indicator on the panel that there's a problem, and I checked the intake below to be sure it wasn't clogged the two times that it happened to me.

The past week is the first time I've really heavily researched these online, so I'm just now learning about the mis-marked dipstick/oil level issue, so I'll probably drain a little bit of oil from it before the next time I go out, but I don't see how the oil could cause this type of problem.

Any suggestions on narrowing this down? Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

I am not a Weber engine guy, but I would suspect one of the electrical control modules may be failing.

Read some of the recent threads discussing the MSX 150 and MSX 110, both use the same Weber engine.

You may also try calling Randy at Watcon or Jay at Sharps Marine.

Further info can be found in my signature links

+1
    Check the fuse connectors. The MSX110/150 use small fuse connectors that tend to overheat. I have seen many fuse connectors showing overheat and loosing electrical conductivity. The fuses are located near the brown relay box at the back of the ski, near the ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by desperado View Post
    Check the fuse connectors. The MSX110/150 use small fuse connectors that tend to overheat. I have seen many fuse connectors showing overheat and loosing electrical conductivity. The fuses are located near the brown relay box at the back of the ski, near the ECU.
    Just to be clear, are you talking about the connections where the fuses themselves are installed, or the connection to the fuse "box" itself. Also, if I were to find something that suggests this is the problem, what have you done to mitigate it on the units you've encountered? Would I need to splice in a new fuse box or something?

Thanks... a fuse was one of my first guesses when it acted up, but of course they were all fine when (as in, simply not blown) when I checked them.

+1
    I was pointing to where the fuses actually connect. I have seen overheated connectors in the past. I simply spliced and bypassed the undersized fuse connector with a larger / waterproof unit. The issue was not a blown fuse.... but rather a bad connection at the fuse pigtail end. Good luck.

Thread Information