Thread: Jail breaking

+1

Jail breaking

this may have been discussed before but times have changed and so have the laws...

Has anyone done this to their Iphones?

Are you happy with the results?

Only reason i am considering it is because you can now use your iphone as a wifi for your laptop!!!!

I dont really care about the apps...

Thanks in advance

+1
    YEP - my son did it to my new iPhone 4 about a week ago.
    Took him about 3 minutes.
    It's opening a lot of new doors.

He mentioned the tethering feature too; lots of free stuff now that AT&T tries to up-charge you for.

This is my place of Zenn smohammed's Avatar
    +1
    i jailbroke my iphone 3g on iOS 4.0.1.. like yoyamma said.. only took 3 mintues.. the RAM on my 3g is too small to run iOS 4 but the jailbreak called jailbreakme is working great for all iphones an ipads, ipods too.. i have been jailbreaking iphones for a yr now an this is definately the best.. WARING : please dont update to 4.0.2.. doing this will not allow your iphone 4g to be jailbroken... this update can only be jailbroken on ipod 2g and iphone 3g... .. u guys gotta wait for a new jailbreak..

+1
    It's only good for the tethering app called "mywi". The app costs 10 bucks and like you said allows you to set up a local wifi hotspot to connect to. That can save you lots of $$$ especially if you're still on the unlimited plan.

I wouldn't use any other app than that. Most of those apps don't go through the usual QA channels like the ones in the Apple app store. Many have bugs, crash other apps, and freeze all the time. I was jailbroken for about a year and the icing on the cake was that the iPod started crashing right after it would start up. I was fed up with it so I restored it and moved on to 4.0.2.

Apple continues to implement ideas from the jailbreakers into their OS. So to me that made jailbreaking kind of lose it's luster. In 4.0 they added multitasking, home screen wallpapers, and folders for your apps. All this stuff we jailbreakers have been doing for a while and thought we were special.

And also on a side note the YouTube mobile site has recently gone through a significant update. They're using html4 instead of flash. Videos load much quicker and the quality can be set to levels that are on par with wifi quality on the YouTube app (which the Apple "Youtube" app itself curiously defies the law of physics because it both sucks and blows all at the same time) www.m.YouTube.com

Oh well that's my take on the jailbreaking scene. It's fun for a while but don't go around installing crap you really don't need. Eventually something will conflict with something else.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BPnta View Post
    Apple continues to implement ideas from the jailbreakers into their OS.
    I honestly suspect that some of the jailbreakers/crackers are the very same guys who are developing the apps for Apple; sure Apple has controls in place but don't forget, the bulk of developers are not employees of Apple, they just enter into a business deal together, and Steve Jobs has recently announced Apple paid out over $1 billion to app developers all over the place for their 70 percent cut. Sometimes these guys get pissed and go different directions, see links:
    http://technologizer.com/2010/03/19/...h-prices-pays/
    http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/07/ipa...p-store-stats/

This is my place of Zenn smohammed's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BPnta View Post
    Oh well that's my take on the jailbreaking scene. It's fun for a while but don't go around installing crap you really don't need. Eventually something will conflict with something else.
    1+.. i was running 3.1.2 at a time.. i was new to the whole jailbreaking scene. i installed some themes, bad move.. my iphone would not come on at all.. i ended up updating my iphone an jailbreak a new version... u really do have to be careful in what u download and install

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I honestly suspect that some of the jailbreakers/crackers are the very same guys who are developing the apps for Apple; sure Apple has controls in place but don't forget, the bulk of developers are not employees of Apple, they just enter into a business deal together, and Steve Jobs has recently announced Apple paid out over $1 billion to app developers all over the place for their 70 percent cut. Sometimes these guys get pissed and go different directions, see links:
    http://technologizer.com/2010/03/19/...h-prices-pays/
    http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/07/ipa...p-store-stats/
    Interesting point. It may be a conflict of interests but who could blame them?

Thread Information