Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Edmonds, WA to Alexandria, VA - Currently Boise, ID

Hola! New 04 GP1300R owner, just wanting to do my formal introduction

My name is James, but for years I've always gone as m5james, regardless of the forum type. So this technically isn't going to be my ski, it was actually just purchased by my recently father-in-law...but I naturally plan on abusing it for him This is his first "toy" purchase, so I'm going to have to break him into the fact that not everything is perfect from the factory and that forums like these will save him headaches and thousands of dollars. So the quick and dirty on the family...

Everyone is from the Seattle area, we've recently moved to Boise, ID while the parents have just retired to Reno, NV....we ALL wanted to get away from the f'ing rain!! Boise is the same climate as Reno, but Reno is appearing to be nicer and definately has better summer time events and places for water sports, so another move may be in order for us as well. Anyways, about the ski....

04 GP1300R, the faster blueish/purple on white (pics below), with only 20.9hrs. Bone stock, picked it up for $1000 cash! Just picked up a single trailer this afternoon for $600 that had only been used 3x off of Craigslist, everything has been licensed and insured, so we're almost ready to go....read below.

Long story short, but it was purchased from a lady who was dealing with a divorce, then followed up by two active foreclosures...I guess that's what she gets for being a bunt and taking everything, but I digress. The ski has been sitting on a trailer, covered, for years. She guesses it's been about 3yrs since the ski was last used, so needless to say, the gas smelled like ass when we removed the fuel cap. It had a dead battery (naturally), but once jumped, it fired right up the first time around. I know it's not the best to run it on crap gas, but we wanted to make sure it ran before we gave her a dime. Since we've gotten it back to their house, we're trying to diagnose minor (to me) running issues.

Fortunately it was very low on gas as it only registered two notches (in the red zone) on the fuel gauge. We tried to siphon the fuel using a handpump, but we couldn't get the hose down in there. Since the fuel guage was reading low, we decided we'd dilute it down instead, so we picked up some Yamaha branded fuel system cleaner and new oil from the stealership and then topped off the ski by pouring in 7 gallons of fuel. The guage reads full now, but I'm not sure exactly what the tank capacity is anyways. Mind you, we have NOT put the ski into the water yet, just running it off hose water while sitting on the trailer.

Before I get flamed for newbie questions, I've been reading on these forums randomly for about a week in order to figure out the problem systems of these skis, and what I've gathered mostly is that our first order of business this winter will be the tunnel reinforcement mod (we'll do it ourselves), taking the ski into the stealership for the throttle cable recall and looking more into the valve issue (I can't recall the exact mod/repair name). I'm a modding WHORE when it comes to me and my vehicles, but he's a simple guy who either fears or thinks these kinds of things are unnecessary...I stopped trusting manufacturers long ago since I know they cut corners wherever possible, leaving aftermarket and forums like these to pickup where the engineers and bean counters dropped the ball. I've tried to stress what NEEDS to be done for the greater good in the long run for longevity, but we'll see how it goes when it comes to his resistance. So, our issues...

It starts completely fine, idles fine, but quick blips on the throttle and it'll stumble. If I do the same quick blip and try to hold it to redline, it'll still stumble, then takes off but then bucks at redline. This is all being done while in neutral. The parts counter guy said there isn't a fuel filter, but suggested we remove the screw from the bottom of the fuel filter (per the dealerships microfiche) inside the nose of the ski, but nothing came out. My father-in-law keeps calling it a fuel/water seperator, so I'm in the process of trying to find an online owners and servicing manual. Today we replaced the plugs which we're black, but I'm assuming this is the nature of a two stroke. At this point, we're hoping that we can run this tank of fuel through completely, get in a new tank and see what happens and if things get better. We're leaving this weekend back to Boise, so I'm hoping that running a tank or two of gas will get this beast running right since I won't be here to press him to put aside his modding fears and do the right thing. I've got other windows open now for carb issues (diaphram, check valves, etc) but I was hoping you guys could throw some concrete opinions at me before we put the ski into the water tomorrow...aka, we're wasting out time trying to run through the gas, it's definately (insert broken part), etc before his fear causes something to break.

I/we have been letting it run on the trailer here and there with the water running, but I'm almost considering just letting it sit at idle or around 4-5k and just run through the gas while it's sitting here at the house before we put it into the water. Then by tomorrow, it's got a new tank of fuel and the fuel system cleaner has been run through the entire system. In the meantime, I'll still be reading, but please feel free to throw in your .02 in the meantime...thanks all!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20100818145914.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	210781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20100818145847.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	210782  

+1
    Welcome to GH.
    First of all its an 04' unless they changed graphics....
    Second is its fuel injected, no carbs

Check the voltage on the battery, sitting that long, im not confident it will hold up.
    Make sure it has oil in the oil tank. I would have drained all the fuel out along with the oil but you should be ok. Make sure you run Yama-lube 2W. Put new plugs in it (BR9ES-11).
    These EFI ski's dont like to rev on the trailer either. Make sure the rear drain plugs are in good. You should be able to go out, warm it up for 5 minutes, check for leaks under the seat, and run it. Im sure it will run crappy for a bit till the fresh fuel gets in it.
    Dont bother running it on the trailer with the hose, take it to the water.

Thanks WW, it's nice to see a forum vet actually reply instead of leaving me to the wolves I actually looked on Google Maps when I saw that you we're from Minden, but that's a bit of a hike from Reno. We have other family out here as well with a cabin out on Lake Tahoe...what a waste that we can't go there with this beast!

I'll have him double check the...oopsie, he just confirmed it's an 04 after all. Dee dee dee on my part. So carbs are out of the equation, that's good.

The battery took a charge on an overnight 2amp trickle charger and hasn't been on the charger since, while having been started probably twice yesterday and about 5x today. The voltage meter on the dash says 14volts, but it probably is a good idea to get the battery load tested before it potentially kills the alternator and/or leaves someone stranded in the middle of the lake. I topped off the gas (2 gall and 5 gall gas can) while he topped off the oil, he thinks he put in about 3-4 quarts out of the 1 gallon jug of Yamalube 2W that he bought. Unfortunately we didn't open the nose of the ski till today and noticed that we could have in fact siphoned every drop of fuel from the system. I suggested a can of SeaFoam, but we're both uncertain as how it'll change the fuel mixture. New plugs, gapped at .044. I don't know of any drain plugs, so if you could give me a quick pointer...I did see a wingnut type bolt to the right of the jet nozzle and tried opening it, but the air around the area was too hot from the exhaust while the engine was running. I'm guessing that's what you meant.

Thanks for the replies Woody, and I look forward to be an active part of these forums and to persuade him to start modding!

PS - I tried editing the title to 04, but was only able to edit the year # in my post. Can you change that for me?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by m5james View Post

04 GP1300R, the faster blueish/purple on white (pics below), with only 20.9hrs. Bone stock, picked it up for $1000 cash! Just picked up a single trailer this afternoon for $600 that had only been !
    So she was going through a divorce and had no idea what the waverunner was worth? Why can't I find deals like that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by m5james View Post
    Thanks WW, it's nice to see a forum vet actually reply instead of leaving me to the wolves I actually looked on Google Maps when I saw that you we're from Minden, but that's a bit of a hike from Reno. We have other family out here as well with a cabin out on Lake Tahoe...what a waste that we can't go there with this beast!

I'll have him double check the...oopsie, he just confirmed it's an 04 after all. Dee dee dee on my part. So carbs are out of the equation, that's good.

The battery took a charge on an overnight 2amp trickle charger and hasn't been on the charger since, while having been started probably twice yesterday and about 5x today. The voltage meter on the dash says 14volts, but it probably is a good idea to get the battery load tested before it potentially kills the alternator and/or leaves someone stranded in the middle of the lake. I topped off the gas (2 gall and 5 gall gas can) while he topped off the oil, he thinks he put in about 3-4 quarts out of the 1 gallon jug of Yamalube 2W that he bought. Unfortunately we didn't open the nose of the ski till today and noticed that we could have in fact siphoned every drop of fuel from the system. I suggested a can of SeaFoam, but we're both uncertain as how it'll change the fuel mixture. New plugs, gapped at .44. I don't know of any drain plugs, so if you could give me a quick pointer...I did see a wingnut type bolt to the right of the jet nozzle and tried opening it, but the air around the area was too hot from the exhaust while the engine was running. I'm guessing that's what you meant.

Thanks for the replies Woody, and I look forward to be an active part of these forums and to persuade him to start modding!

PS - I tried editing the title to 04, but was only able to edit the year # in my post. Can you change that for me?
    I will change it. Reno is NOT far from Minden at all. Were are you from????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    So she was going through a divorce and had no idea what the waverunner was worth? Why can't I find deals like that.
    My exact thoughts.....

+1
    Welcome to the forum! If you are a mod whore, this is your ski and we are your fellow sluts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty
    Welcome to the forum! If you are a mod whore, this is your ski and we are your fellow sluts.
    Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    Trust me brotha, I wish I could find once in a blue moon deals like this also! An uncle was trying to short sale her house, it got no bites and she's going into foreclosure any day now. The original deal was a two position trailer, the GP and some other ski that was a 600 (still newish as well) and she was trying to get $4500 for the whole lot. We were there checking them out and then suddenly she dropped her pants and was like...give me a $1000 cash right now. After we finished wiping up the brown mess, we lifted the GP into the back of the truck and took it home with it sitting between 4x8 posts acting as skids. the first day of running the ski was sitting in the truck still, but today I negotiated us a sweet deal on the trailer as well, hence the mud and standing water around the trailer in the pics. This was definately a once in a lifetime steal of a deal...I'm still waiting for my turn in life as well

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    I will change it. Reno is NOT far from Minden at all. Were are you from????
    Thanks for changing it.

I've driven to Lake Tahoe once and I don't really remember how long it took. We're from Boise, but we come down here quite ofter since her parents moved down here to Reno for their retirement. Since Tahoe doesn't allow two strokes, apparently there is some lake about 15 miles from where we're at here in Spanish Springs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information