Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I've Got a Problem. (1200XLL)

I was out with some friends today who were riding my 2000 1200XLL. We were riding across the lake and I looked back and they were no longer with me. I turned around and went back and they said the ski just died on them. Tried a few times and couldn't get it started.

He had let off the throttle and got back on it for a few seconds and then lost power and the motor died. I just recently installed a d-plate and WaveEater clips and couplers. I've had it out a few times since the install with no problems. I gassed it up and filled the oil (Yamalube 2S - I no longer have the cat) earlier today. The spark plugs aren't very old.

I honestly have no idea what is wrong, or where I should even start. I get it turning over, but it doesn't for very long and it doesn't sound very good when it does. I'm still running OI, and I'm worried an oil line got pinched off or something. I have the block off kit sitting here waiting to be installed.

Is that my problem? If not, any ideas?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSport346 View Post
    I was out with some friends today who were riding my 2000 1200XLL. We were riding across the lake and I looked back and they were no longer with me. I turned around and went back and they said the ski just died on them. Tried a few times and couldn't get it started.

He had let off the throttle and got back on it for a few seconds and then lost power and the motor died. I just recently installed a dplate and waveeater clips and couplers. I've had it out a few times since with no problems. I gassed it up and filled the oil (Yamalube 2S - I no longer have the cat) earlier today. The spark plugs aren't very old.

I honestly have no idea what is wrong, or where I should even start. I get it turning over, but it doesn't for very long and it doesn't sound very good when it does. I'm still running OI, and I'm worried an oil line got pinched off or something. I have the block off kit sitting here waiting to be installed.

Is that my problem? If not, any ideas?
    Sounds like you may have locked a engine, Pull the spark plugs out and see if there is any aluminum looking color on them.

Any oil in the hull? Check compression on all cylinders...when was the last time the carbs were rebuilt?

Quote Originally Posted by mfear View Post
    Any oil in the hull? Check compression on all cylinders...when was the last time the carbs were rebuilt?
    I didn't see any oil in the hull, but I'll look more closely tomorrow. I've only owned the ski for about a month, so idk when the carbs were last rebuilt.

When I bought it compression was around 110 (if I remember correctly) across all three cylinders. It was right where I've read it should be, and all were within 5 psi of each other. I can check it again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSport346 View Post
    I didn't see any oil in the hull, but I'll look more closely tomorrow. I've only owned the ski for about a month, so idk when the carbs were last rebuilt.

When I bought it compression was around 110 (if I remember correctly) across all three cylinders. It was right where I've read it should be, and all were within 5 psi of each other. I can check it again tomorrow.
    Ok just recheck compression and pull the carbs, they probably need a rebuilding

Ok, I checked compression. In the cylinder closest to the front of the ski (#1?), there was a little carbon buildup on the plug, and compression is only about 25psi. On the other two compression is still 110-115.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Tme to pull it apart and see how bad the damage is. Pull the head off and check that cylinder.

I had a friend look at it over the weekend, and he believes it's a connecting rod. I'm going to pull the head off and see what I find.

If I have the engine pulled apart, can I still put the ski in water? It's on a double trailer with my other ski, so it would only be for a couple minutes at the launch.

Ok, tore the head off today. I've got pics, but the piston looks like it has been hitting the top of the cylinder. I was compressing the 3 pistons, and it moves just fine with the other two. Can somebody help me out, I have no idea what this means.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2909.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	211407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2911.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	211408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2913.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	211409

Nobody's got any ideas? I've also noticed this cylinder is pretty dry compared to the other two. The piston also has a little bit of play, where the others do not. I'm almost thinking an oil line to this cylinder got pinched off, and because of that I damaged a connecting rod?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information