Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Ultra LX - water in cylinders

Motor stalls. I pulled the plugs and it looks like there are droplets of water in the cylinders.

The head gasket is new, compression is good in all 4 cylinders (200-210 PSI) and, assuming I checked correctly, the valve clearance is within spec on all valves.

I pulled the intake manifold and it is dry. There was some water mist in the intake ports on the head.

I'm now thinking that the water might be getting in from the exhaust side. Exhaust gasket is new, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm wondering if there's some sort of obstruction in the exhaust, that doesn't cause a problem when the ski is running on a hose, but causes a water backup into the cylinders when the ski is running in the water. Anybody ever have this sort of problem?

Other possibility is that there's water in the fuel tank.
    Last edited by grumpy_steven; 02-03-2011 at 10:46 AM.

+1
    how do you know the used head is not cracked?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    how do you know the used head is not cracked?
    I don't know for sure, but I don't think it is. I checked it carefully and also ran water thru it before installing it. If it were cracked, I would expect to have at least one cylinder with bad compression. I would also think that a crack would allow water to enter one or two cylinders, but not all 4.

+1
    Check to make sure the exhaust manifold isn't warped etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are droplets of water in all 4 cylinders.
    There was some water mist in the intake ports on the head.
    So if all the cylinders and all the inlet ports have water then it is a common leak. Could there be a casting leak in the inlet manifold before air splits to individual ports? Maybe there is water entering the inlet track somewhere or something is allowing water to enter the common air breathing path prior to splitting to each inlet port. Not sure if pump water pressure and flow is higher than hose and if this could factor into no bench leak verses a floating leak.

+1
    I think I found the problem. I emptied the fuel tank and there was water in the fuel.
    Last edited by grumpy_steven; 02-03-2011 at 10:47 AM.

+1
    AhA!
    Had us looking into less-simple areas when we should have looked at the more obvious first!
    Good lesson, thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    AhA!
    Had us looking into less-simple areas when we should have looked at the more obvious first!
    Good lesson, thanks
    It sure seemed like an easy answer. But I never thought I'd get that lucky with this ski. I was prepared for the worst, so this was a pleasant surprise.

I really didn't think water got into the tank. I thought this was a well-sealed system. When I open the gas cap, a whole lot of pressure is released. I guess the tank vent is a one-way valve, that lets air into the tank but not out... and water too. I used the fuel pump to suck out the water, so I'm sure there's still some in the very bottom of the tank. I'll have to empty the tank to dry it completely.

Had the ski out for 2 hours and it's running OK, but some adjustments are needed. RPM's are barely reaching 7K... should probably get a little more out of this. Idle RPM's are a bit high. Speedo is only showing 40, but I know it's going faster.

There is one more problem, that the original owner had posted. The head cover gets very hot... so hot that it melted the plastic T that joins the tubes coming from the head cover. The original owner installed R&D covers. I pulled the cooling line that comes from the oil cooler and there's a good flow of water. Any ideas on why the engine would get so hot?
    Last edited by grumpy_steven; 02-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.

+1
    The only thing that comes to mind is a cooling system (partial) blockage, perhaps specific to one channel within the head. I'm not at all familiar with the R&D covers, unless you mean the BOV things, but were they melted some time before you acquired the ski, or after? There is so much water flowing through those engines that they really only get *hot* when you shut 'em down and they get the chance to heat-soak.

Did you do the re-build yourself...or spec it. I've almost come to the conclusion these skis are throw-aways when the motor is done, maybe in 4-500 hrs, or so. Which is a bit disappointing, coming from very long-life 2 strokes that were easily repairable. Perhaps you'll have a good experience and let us know how it all works out for you?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    It sure seemed like an easy answer. But I never thought I'd get that lucky with this ski. I was prepared for the worst, so this was a pleasant surprise.

I really didn't think water got into the tank. I thought this was a well-sealed system. When I open the gas cap, a whole lot of pressure is released. I guess the tank vent is a one-way valve, that lets air into the tank but not out... and water too. I used the fuel pump to suck out the water, so I'm sure there's still some in the very bottom of the tank. I'll have to empty the tank to dry it completely.

Had the ski out for 2 hours and it's running OK, but some adjustments are needed. RPM's are barely reaching 7K... should probably get a little more out of this. Idle RPM's are a bit high. Speedo is only showing 40, but I know it's going faster.

There is one more problem, that the original owner had posted before he sank the ski. The head cover gets very hot... so hot that it melted the plastic T that joins the tubes coming from the head cover. The original owner installed R&D covers. I pulled the cooling line that comes from the oil cooler and there's a good flow of water. Any ideas on why the engine would get so hot?
    thats normal for the plates to get hot,
    they are blocking off your EGR Exhaust gas return ports.........did they leave the valve plates in ( he should have )

under the plate is a passage that goes in to the Exhaust port . So I wouldnt say anything sounds abnormall to me

Waz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information