Just bought 98 SPX

Well I haven't quite bought it yet, but had a few questions incase I do.

The ski currently runs great, but I have a few issues that concern me.
    It still has the old gray fuel lines.

If I bought I would change those out immediately. Would you also rebuild the carbs right away to get rid of any old fuel line gunk? How about the rave valves, should those be replaced on a ski this old? What else should I look for?

Cool

Change those lines and rebuild the carbs. Clean the inlet screens in each carb! Also clean or replace the fuel selector valve.
    Remove and clean each rave valve. Make sure you put them back in their holes right side up!
    Also install a 6 inch zip tie at the bottom of each bellows. Clean the fuel/water separator (under the hood). Check the condition of all oil lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Benz-tech View Post
    Change those lines and rebuild the carbs. Clean the inlet screens in each carb! Also clean or replace the fuel selector valve.
    Remove and clean each rave valve. Make sure you put them back in their holes right side up!
    Also install a 6 inch zip tie at the bottom of each bellows. Clean the fuel/water separator (under the hood). Check the condition of all oil lines.
    Good advise! But also check the OIL filter, as it goes unticed and gets filled with gunk regulary!

Thanks for the replies guys. Is there anything that can be insurance of this thing running lean. Would oil blockoff setup help with this? I'm just scared of this thing running lean and locking up like my old 97SPX did way back when when I had it. I wasn't to smart back then and didn't change any lines or filters.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    as long as you change the lines and prime the system before firing it you should be good. the oil pumps are pretty reliable. I still use mine. I cant premix due to the long walks back up hill to the truck...maybe im just getting old but id rather hit the gas dock than walk.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    as long as you change the lines and prime the system before firing it you should be good. the oil pumps are pretty reliable. I still use mine. I cant premix due to the long walks back up hill to the truck...maybe im just getting old but id rather hit the gas dock than walk.

OLD MAN =D JK..

Im a non pre mixer myself! But i certainly do not have gray fuel lines!

What you can do is, do the checklist we mentioned. then once complete, go out on water. do a plug chop. take some pictures and report back to us with pictures and we can try to help our best!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtuned View Post
    Good advise! But also check the OIL filter, as it goes unticed and gets filled with gunk regulary!
    + Change the Jet Pump Oil and Lube the PTO / Driveshaft Grease fitting.

Thread Information