+1

Question 1998 gp1200 starts hard after setting for 5-10mins

Hi

We have a 1998 gp1200 - runs fine idles good, but if it sets for 5-10 mins it starts mean. you have to feather the throttle it spits and sputters - it kinda acts like its flooding. It will idle fine, and it will start right up if you start/stop the engine like when coming into a dock. just when it sits for a few minutes. We rebuilt the carbs this summer with new needle and seats (jetted to specs found on here). Ski runs great otherwise. One other thing I noticed today - it takes about 15sec for the side pisser to start pissing, but in the meantime it looks like exhaust smoke is coming out? Never noticed that before.

Its has 120hrs on it - compression good, reeds good (checked when did the carbs).

Thanks!

That seems fairly normal. My GP always took a little longer to fire up after sitting for ahwile. Consider installing a primer kit and that puppy will fire right up. I'm assuming you don't have one yet. Also, the delay on the pisser is normal.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

+1
    No it does have a primer on it - first thing I did when I bought the ski. The starting hard after sitting 5-10mins is something new. It would always crank right back up. Now it starts mean after sitting. One thing I noticed is the fuel filter is pretty much empty after sitting the 5-10mins - not sure where the gas is going? I have the stock filter plus another clear filter right before the carbs. I am guessing the fuel is either going into the engine or back into the tank? Either way that does not seem right?

Is exhaust smoke from the pisser normal?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by coastalfun View Post

Is exhaust smoke from the pisser normal?
    quite..the way the yamaha pipe is built you see exhaust until the water backs up in the pipe then it starts coming out of the pisser. If the water outlet hole back up with sediment..the rubber couple will start to leak and then you'll melt the outlet hose..regular flushing helps.

+1
    You should not have to pump the primer or give it gas to start after only sitting a few minutes. After running it and letting it set, unscrew the fuel cap and see if there is pressure. Sounds like your loosing pressure somewhere. If there is no pressure in the tank after letting it set, you must be loosing pressure somewhere. Either in the carb housing, or maybe the fuel lines are too loose around the nipples. Or maybe a bad seal at the tank cap.

Not sure on the pisser fumes.

+1 on the lost fuel pressure

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thread Information