Smile please I need confirmation on 1200xlt

I have 1200xlt 2002 that I replaced rear cylinder on 3 seasons back,Has been running great only fresh gas etc.all of sudden 3500 rpm max,it is not a fuel issue as slightly pulling choke underload kills it ,it runs steady at 3500 rpm half throttle or fullthrottle,no missing,idles great,plugs come out slightly damp with fuel after running it full throttle under load at 3500rpm.It doesnt die or miss ,no exhaust in engine compartment.Do these engines have a cdi problem that can cause this seems like it is rev limiter,thanks>Marvin

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    do the power valves cycle -open -close ,, when you bump the start button??
    you can put small white zip ties on the couplers between the valves -- makes it more visable when they move..
    matt

yes they cycle out of water but not in water,will the PV being in down position limit ski to only 3500rpm at WOT???I dont use white tie wraps,they do cyle when starting,compression is fine,I swapped in known good cdi ,there was no change,thanks>Marvin

Does it have the d-plate? Wondering if the cat-con is clogging the exhaust

has d/plate and bypass chip for sensor,thanks>Marvin

Did you check the compression and you said 3 years back since the work, but how long since a carb rebuild.

+1
    Ride it with the seat off. In flat water make sure the power valves are fully open at WOT. If not turn the valves open by hand and see if you get some r's back. Lee

idk if you got it figured out or not but i had a similar issue and my jetworks valve rubber ball was oblong and blocked the whole and dried the waterbox full..but mine would come and go..dont know if you have a jetworks but def check it for this and if you do carl at island sells a stainless ball to replace the rubber junk.

+1
    Have you already replaced the plugs? Sounds suspiciously like a fouled plug. I have had one foul and it did not look like it had.

sorry for not telling you guys the problem the valve actuator was slipping sometimes on the shaft,it was only allowing full exhaust opening when testing it on trailer,tried it out of water looking at the actuator in the front(wire control motor) so presto easy fix thanks so much even if its yrs late.I have his 800 on the trailer here now with oil line off rear cylinder and front exhaust valve dropped!!!!I told him about waveater clips ,didnt think it was needed>Thanks guys>Marvin

Thread Information