Intermittent Problem 07

Hey guys, so was out on the ski the other day and all of sudden it was idling funny and stalled, cranked her with a no start situation. Pulled the seat off , pulled the plugs, turned it over a few times to clear the cyls then checked for spark(good) so i put fresh plugs in. IT started up but was idling very low 850-950 rpm. I had been ripping around before this getting lots of water coming over the front of the ski splashing my EFI controller kinda. NO water was really in the hull a few dribbles but nothing to mention. So i pulled it outta the water and let it dry out over night seat off and bow open. The next day filled up with fuel and went to the lake put it in the water and she started right up but still was idling low i was annoyed at this point it was also smoking like a whore on the way out of the boat launch area so i went out and beat on her for a while, at first it kinda hesitated outta the gate but soon as you were going she was basically normal. About half way through the ride i noticed it was now idling almost normal 1350-1450ish so i kept riding away and it still would idle fine after. I did notice one little hiccup on the way into the boat launch area but it was just a kinda funny stutterish thing but only lasted a split second.

Here are some boat details

3* degree advance keyway
    Free Flow Exhaust
    D-Plate
    Battery Relocation
    Pump tunnel reinforcement
    RIVA Efi controller
    PET tachometer
    Riva Ride Plate
    New Wear ring with replaceable plastic liner
    Pro-taper bars
    Riva billet aluminum finger throttle

Riva Yamaha Billet Gas Cap
    R&D Power Plenum on throttle Bodies
    Stock Prop
    Jetworks Mod
    Versaplugs

So now after all that I am asking what people think it was, bad fuel? water in the fuel? too much oil in gas? Somehow got water in the throttle bodies? Oil pump problems?

The plugs all looked similar when i changed them none were soaked or off colour.

Opinions Please!

Thanks Zakre

Sounds like a bad fuel issue..but weird that it would happe. Mid-tank andthen resolve itself...check spark wires?

Quote Originally Posted by mfear View Post
    Sounds like a bad fuel issue..but weird that it would happe. Mid-tank andthen resolve itself...check spark wires?
    Yes it was very strange, i am goin out tonight to run her again, the wires are look good, and have spark on all three jugs. the only thing could be maybe i got something wet with the EFI controller it does sit on the dash.

Got a good hour and a half on her tonight and it was 99.9% fine, heard the cough twice idling out of the marina and right off the bat after launching it started right up idled low for one second then was normal 1350-1400 after that. I put the same fuel in i did yesterday as well.

I have noticed there is a slight hesitation sometimes but its only a split second delay before the rush of power arrives but it doesnt happen when doing it from some throttle positions and other its more likely, is this normal?

+1
    Sounds like you need to look at your TPS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2005GPR View Post
    Sounds like you need to look at your TPS

I thought if there was a problem with the TPS i would be seeing an engine light? I have not seen it come on even when it was idling poorly? Any more advice where is the TPS on the throttle bodies? front back? right under the stinger i'm sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zakre View Post
    Yes it was very strange, i am goin out tonight to run her again, the wires are look good, and have spark on all three jugs. the only thing could be maybe i got something wet with the EFI controller it does sit on the dash.
    Get that EFI controller off the dash, that must be getting hit with salt water from time to time.A good spot is high along the wall of the hull on the same side as the plug connection.You don't need to be staring at it all the time, you can make adjustments on how the ski feels.

Do a code check by pressing the cluster gauge and see what # comes up. An 01 is normal a 18 is a TPS malfunction

+1
    Where your efi controller plugs into the harness is getting wet. If you look im willing to bet the plug inyo the main harness sits rite under the air vent under the cowls. My 1300 use to do the same thing. Clean the plug with electric deoxidizer. Than grease it up and relocate it. I chased that issue for 2 months. The ski would run great and suddenly drop idle, run rich as fu*k and bog like a pig. I dd thr above and went 2 years after with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    Where your efi controller plugs into the harness is getting wet. If you look im willing to bet the plug inyo the main harness sits rite under the air vent under the cowls. My 1300 use to do the same thing. Clean the plug with electric deoxidizer. Than grease it up and relocate it. I chased that issue for 2 months. The ski would run great and suddenly drop idle, run rich as fu*k and bog like a pig. I dd thr above and went 2 years after with no issues.
    Ah! I was noticing the placement of the controller plug and how alot of connectors sit right under the left side air intake! I was starting to ponder if water dumped right on the connector, i did see it show a funny light for a few mins right when it first started, you probly know this ski too, it was Patrick that he sold earlier this summer. So I am goin to try and move the connectors outta the path of incoming water, where is a good spot to relocated them to that they will still reach and not have to unplug everything?

Thanks for the help!, I dont run the ski in any salt water so i doubt its corrosion from that.

Thread Information