Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Horus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    169

    GPR cat replacement help

    (08 GPR)


    as far as i know the cat hides right about here...






    Now how do i get that open?




    do i need to take this whole piece out?




    i was in the process of doing so when i couldn't believe how hard it was to get to that 2nd screw under it.. so i figured i must have been doing something wrong?



    any help, tips, advice??


    thanks!


  2. #2
    Moderator OsideBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,875
    +1
    30
    yes it is where you oulined and yes you need to remove the stinger

  3. #3
    Horus, you really should have a shop manual... knowing the sequence and torques specs is a big+.
    taking it apart is easy, reinstalling the stinger and the order that you tighten all the mounting bolts is the trick to not snapping any of the brackets due from stress and vibration...

    get a propane torch and heat up the bolt area`s on the stinger, let cool and do it again. those long bolts are in there with plenty of loctite...

  4. #4
    Horus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    yes it is where you oulined and yes you need to remove the stinger
    thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Horus, you really should have a shop manual... knowing the sequence and torques specs is a big+.
    taking it apart is easy, reinstalling the stinger and the order that you tighten all the mounting bolts is the trick to not snapping any of the brackets due from stress and vibration...

    get a propane torch and heat up the bolt area`s on the stinger, let cool and do it again. those long bolts are in there with plenty of loctite...

    i have an 03-04 on cd.. same stuff?

    or at least i wont go super tite and check after the next few uses?

  5. #5
    cruise thru this thread for some pics:

    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...f-Changes-quot

    there is an update 05+ supplement that mostly pertains to the different steering sensor set up and the HO pump etc...

    a torque wrench is your friend...

  6. #6
    Do yourself a huge favor and get blue painters masking tape and tape off the hull where the seat sits so you don`t scratch the crap out of that gorgeous paint!

  7. #7
    Horus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    cruise thru this thread for some pics:

    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...f-Changes-quot

    there is an update 05+ supplement that mostly pertains to the different steering sensor set up and the HO pump etc...

    a torque wrench is your friend...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Do yourself a huge favor and get blue painters masking tape and tape off the hull where the seat sits so you don`t scratch the crap out of that gorgeous paint!


    thanks for the link.. looks like i need to pick up some tape

  8. #8
    "just sayin".. jetdave56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    JERSEY SHORE
    Posts
    4,500
    +1
    619
    I have an 03-07 cd rom.Yours will show PVs which you don't have plus air temp sensor location is different and what PR said,otherwise it's the same.


    Which bolt is tough, on the muffler stay bracket(3) or one of those 6 bolts on the front of the stinger?

  9. #9
    Tommy Pantsdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    413
    +1
    11
    How different is his ski from these instructions? FI v Carbed

    http://www.cajundude.com/stingerremoval.htm

  10. #10
    the stinger removal/install is the same. the elbow directly off the manifold at the u pipe is different from 1200 to 1300...

    the trick is to assemble it correctly and tighten the bolts to the brackets in a way that the stinger is drawn into all the brackets evenly.

    tightening up one bolt or not will crack a "stay" or the bracket down by the coupler... I have seen people just shrowing things together without the proper torque and actually cracking the U pipe...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 01 GPR fuel/oil line replacement help needed
    By Zel in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 06:37 AM
  2. 2001 GPR 1200 need fuel pump rebuilding/replacement help, please...
    By GpaaH in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 02:12 PM
  3. bloody cat chip...help
    By Hydrotherapy in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 12:01 PM
  4. GPR Carb Tuning HELP
    By DrewNJ in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 06:36 AM
  5. D-Plate or JetWorks Cat Replacement?
    By CrazyA in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 09:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •