About to seal my pump shoe...

I just got the stuff I need to seal the pump shoe, and wanted to get started right away. However, I am going on a ride tomorrow at about noon. I know that I need to put some 5200fc on the shoe, but I don't have 24 hours to let it cure.

If I get it done by 6:00 tonight, will that be enough time for the 5200fc to cure enough? Or is this a strict rule that you have to wait at least 24 hours?

Thanks for any help.

+1
    if you ride it without waiting a couple of days for it to dry
    you are just wasting your time sealing it
    wait till after your ride to seal it

kev

That is the answer I was expecting to get. Guess I will just seal it after my ride tomorrow.

Thanks

24 hours??? you need a week for that to fully cure... there are areas that are in deep that will need to cure...

3M offers a standard 5200 with a 7 day cure as well as a fast cure formula that cures in 24 hours. Which kind do you have? Even if using the fast cure I would wait a few days to ensure everything in there is fully cured. As PaleRider said, definitely give it more time than the recommended time on the tube just to be safe as it may take a little longer for the 5200 buried deep in the hull without any exposure to open air to fully cure. 5200 is strong stuff and when sealing the shoe you really only want to do it once and do it right.

edit: just saw you said you have '5200fc' which is the fast cure, I would still wait at minimum a few days before riding

Quote Originally Posted by USCME View Post
    3M offers a standard 5200 with a 7 day cure as well as a fast cure formula that cures in 24 hours. Which kind do you have? Even if using the fast cure I would wait a few days to ensure everything in there is fully cured. As PaleRider said, definitely give it more time than the recommended time on the tube just to be safe as it may take a little longer for the 5200 buried deep in the hull without any exposure to open air to fully cure. 5200 is strong stuff and when sealing the shoe you really only want to do it once and do it right.
    yes, it is just like it would be in the tube, the edges where the air is at would cure first, and the middle would remain gooey until it had the approppriate time to cure...

for example, a 3/8 x 3/8 joint of DOW 795 takes approx 21 days to fully cure to be structually sound... althought this not being the case with 5200, you still need to leave it be... so plan wisely...

tighten the bolts slowly, come back a few minutes later and do it again., a little longer wait and do it again, until final toque is held. air bubbles, trapped air will work it`s way out s l o w l y... be patient...

Thanks for the heads up guys. I will definitely be waiting until after my ride tomorrow to do this. I didn't even think about the stuff being up in the hull not exposed to air.

There seems to be a lot of information on the forum about the pump sealing, but it is verrry scattered. I read a little about the nickle rule, but I can't visualize it. It seems like as long as the shoe is sitting even, and the ride plate does not hang below it, it is ok.

What is your feeling about the OEM black foam/felt gasket. It seems like a lot of people just glob 5200 in its place...

Thread Information