Thread: 09 FZR Towing

09 FZR Towing

I am going to buy a 09 FZR tomorrow, and was wanting to pull a tube saturday with it. I just talked to the salesman. And just realized it doesn't have a tow hook on the back. We have a privately owned lake so, being up to snuff with the rules is not a problem.

My question is, Can i get like a 3' rope and hook to each tie down, and then hook the the tow rope in between, will it cause to much stress on the hull?

OR The normal spot for a tow hook(under the rear seat), strong enough to install a tow hook there? Maybe make a plate to go behind in. Will is be strong enough though?

Thanks
    Lew04

+1
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=169&B=34

Above is the link for the OEM parts finder for the FZS. You can install the FZS tow hook on the FZR.

You'll need:
    (1) part# 47...tow hook
    (2) part# 45...backing plates(one piece washers really)
    (2) part# 46...nylon lock nuts

The factory tow hook is surprisingly strong. Although I've never towed a tube with it. I have towed a broke down 30ft fountain speedboat 5 miles to a dock and a 27ft sailboat about 2 miles that was stuck on the river with no wind or engine power. So I have no doubt it will be OK towing a tube.

When you pick up the ski have your dealer order the parts. If the holes aren't already there on the FZR you may have to remove the entire plastic seat base to drill the hull. It's not hard, just annoying. I think you could do the entire job in under an hour.

Edit: I just looked at the FZR parts finder. It seems the holes for the tow hook are there from the factory since both models use same hull. They just have plugs in the holes for neatness. Even easier of a job for you.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1022091719.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	210905

+1
    he will also require a new rear seat and rear seat plastics as they are different. ive been wanting to make my fzr able to tow as well, but just havent had the money laying around to do so.

and id advise against using the rear part of the ski as that seems to be where a lot of the hulls are cracking

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    just get an FZS more family friendly, and it has a tow hook

Well already have the FZR, and the the parts listed above will be here the 7th

Crashking tell me about this Intake manifold ribbon delete you have done to yours?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lew04 View Post
    Well already have the FZR, and the the parts listed above will be here the 7th

Crashking tell me about this Intake manifold ribbon delete you have done to yours?
    ultramaxracing05-

Had they offered the fzs in blue in 09 I would have got one... I didn't like red or black so fzr it was

And the ribbon delete sleeve/insert is sold by riva, r&d, and jet draft as well I believe, it gets rid of the restrictive flame arrestor that's located in the intake, I think I gained 1mph from it alone... It's $30-40 depending who you get it From, however it is a time consuming job to do. I believe it took me 2-3 hours to do with plenty of tools at my disposal(I'm a technician for a living) but the first time you do something it is always the longest. If/when you do this mod it wouldn't hurt to tap the intake manifold with a 1/4" npt tap for a boost guage/blow off for use in the future while it's out and easy to do.

Thread Information