Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help please msx 110

it is an msx 110 2004 model that i have purchased it has 16hrs on it. there was not a good battery in the ski for about a yr. put new battery in the ski 10.8 volts when turning over 12.8 just sitting. the problem is when i hook the lanyard up the display does not come on the relays do not cycle like they should you can hit the button on top and the displays comes on. it will turn over but has no spark no fuel no trottle movement. what could it be this is my first computer ski like this and dont have a clue where to start i have bought the service manual but it does not say anything about this problem

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, 10.8 volts while cranking is OK but not great. A strong battery (especially an AGM battery) should be pushing a higher voltage while cranking.

Start by looking for bad fuses.

Do you know if the machine was working when it was put away?

re

yes got 11.9 with charger on it while tring to crank it. i have only found 9 fuses all were good

+1
    Hi Chris,

Check all earth wires are connected to the post on the inlet manifold, I have seen one that the lug had failed causing your problem. Best to get the simple things out of the way first. (3 separate wires to there from memory)
    Last edited by Kosh; 08-20-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

re

earth wire is that a ground i will be glad to check it. the polaris dealers will not even look at it and cant find any mechanics to look at either because it is a polaris. is it located on the front or rear of the engine on the intake manifold. thanks for all the help guys maybe we can get this thing going

+1
    Hi Chris,

The earth lead from the battery and two? other 'grounds' are attach to a stud at the rear of the inlet manifold.(rear of ski) you will need a torch. Check for good mechanical as well as electrical connection.

the housing and nozzle and impeller are all out of the ski due to needing a wear ring will that make a difference. i will check the that stud in the morning thanks for the iformation kosh

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chriswatson2004 View Post
    yes got 11.9 with charger on it while trying to crank it....
    Do NOT have the charger connected while trying to start the engine.

If the battery is not strong enough to crank the engine AND deliver full voltage, get a better battery. Factory sealed AGM batteries are my recommendation.

We have seen fairly consistent reports from others who have tried 'helping' a weak PWC battery by cranking the engine with the charger still attached. Afterward they are surprised to find out the CDI has been damaged. Coincidence? Perhaps, but there is no reason to be doing it. Get a strong battery, and avoid the issue.

As I said before, I don't think your battery is so weak that it is causing your problem. It just didn't seem to be as strong as a new battery should be.

well its not the battery or the lugs anyone have anymore suggestions

Have you tried what is suggested on page 5.37 of the Service Manual, "Engine Turns Over; Does Not Start"? Also, maybe the Cam Phase Sensor and/or Engine Speed Sensor could be the issue. I think there are ways to test them in the service manual. On autos, a failed crank position sensor will cause the exact same result, cranking with no spark and no fuel. The ECU does not know where the engine is in its cycle so it cuts fuel and spark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information