GP1200 Won't crank

Hello all,

I have a '98 GP1200 that ran great all last season. I tried, with a fresh Odyssey battery, to start it for the first time this summer and I'm getting nothing-totally dead. Nothing on my speedo, no beeps, no nothing. Checked the fuse on the wall between the engine and battery, it's fine. I'm assuming this must be electrical...what else could it be??

Thanks!

hold the mode button on the gauge. You will see code will appear on the right side of the gauge. Enter AAAA as the code. Once finished it will say start. I know this because it happen the same thing to a friend of mine last week. Hope this helps.

Onefast,

Thank you for the response! I can't check it right now, but would you still think this was the case if there was no beeping, lights, or anything showing on the gauges? If I remember correctly in the past it's asked for the security code, but it never looked completely dead??

Thanks!

Yes a friend of mine had the exact same problem as you. Try the code first. If not i also seen some battery cables are gone bad on the gp1200. Check the cables positive and ground on each end for continuance.

Yamaha puts a security feature on their skis. No one will be able to start the ski unless they enter the correct code. Ski will recognize it and start. I just remember i met/ helped a guy out at the boat ramp at the lake with his gp800 awhile back ago. He brought it all the way there. Without trying to start the ski first. Installed a new battery and it would not start. He did not even know about the code feature. Until i told him.

You're right!!! I've had the security thing before but it always prompted me for it...this time I had to hold down mode and A, like you said.

THANK YOU!!!

Thread Information