Is this a good deal?

I'm looking to buy my first ski and came across this package deal was hoping for some insight so I don't make a mistake. Any help is much appreciated!

The guy is selling a 97' GP1200 and 93' Yamaha VXR650 w/ dbl platform trailer - asking $3500 and will only sell all as package deal.

I met seller first time and the GP 1200 started right up, sounded a little rough but I really dont have anything to base it on. The VXR did not start, seller kept priming it in attempt to start it but ended up flooding it. Seller and I agreed to meet at the shop where there were last serviced in July to see why it would not start.

Fast forward - Today I met seller at shop - the mechanic started the 93' ski up on first attempt and a bunch of gas came out of exhaust - mechanic confirmed it had been flooded and normally it should only take few primes to start initially. When we later tested the ski again it took at least 15 seconds for it to start and seemed to idle rough - is this normal for an older ski?

The service shop advised they had ran PSI test, changed spark plugs, flushed carbs on both skis but they did not have record of the PSI test results so I had them check again.

93' VXR - PSI was 110 and 95 - seems low and too much variation?

97' GP 1200 would not start as the battery died out - seller realized he left battery connected and caused the new battery to drain. Mechanics hooked up a charger for us to test the compression which was 120 95 and 110. This indicates a serious problem based on what I've read so far so I advised seller I was not interested unless we could test drive them.

Long story short seller got new battery on his way home and called me to meet this Sunday to test drive the skis at the lake but I am very concerned with the PSI variations. Should I even consider this deal?

*Note - I noticed the mechanic had all 3 spark plugs off when he did the compression test and I was not able to see if his helper had throttle fully open. From reading through the boards it seems you want to take 1 plug out at a time and make sure to open full throttle. Does it matter?

Seller also stated the skis had not been used in over a year and were not used a lot in general.

Thanks for any insight - I am very excited to buy my first ski but don't have the cash to blow on a bad deal, like most of us.

+1
    That's not a deal even if the skis are running good. For $3500, you can buy a nice, clean, modified GPR with a trailer.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    in polite terms...tell him you aren't interested and thank him for his time.

for $3500 you can do far better then that..like a 2003 GP1200 I just sold with a nice single trailer...and it's peak season here with few good skis for sale. They guy didn't even bother to haggle. It was priced to sell fast. The owner ( a contractor) needed to make a mortgage payment as he was waiting for payments on a bunch of jobs.

Hey thanks for the quick response and confirmation,

03' compared to 97' that makes it an easy decision. I called the guy back and canceled the showing. I'll keep looking now that I have better idea what to look for.

Know anyone selling GPR w/ trailer under 3500?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    That's not a deal even if the skis are running good. For $3500, you can buy a nice, clean, modified GPR with a trailer.
    I agree 120 95 and 110 psi is all over the board I woulnd't trust that motor. Plus I've seen mint GP1200s with fresh motors going for $2 grand.

Nothing like getting air, while sitting in a chair VonnerNIX's Avatar
    Where are you located?

Run far away from that trouble two-some. Everyone else is right, you can get much better deals. Its crazy how cheap some of these skis are getting.

Thanks for all the advice on this, glad I found this site!

VonnerNIX - I'm in Willis, TX about 45 miles north of Houston

Thread Information