Gpr hull repair help!!!!

Guys i'm working on the repair of my gp1200r hull... I have the epoxy resin and catalyst and sanding is almost done... My question is to apply the resin should i sand all the way down to the fiberglass?? Or i can just sand until its nice and smooth? What are your takes on this? I have never done hull repairs but i guess its time to start.... Thanks in advance

hey there im doin repairs on mine too its best if u sand it down smooth with 100-120 grid sand paper so the resin has some surface to hold on to an make sure there's no power left from sanding. other wise it will not stick to the surface like it sould.

+1
    Answer to your question is Yes! you must sand all the way to the SMC hull if you have removed all the paint then your there. You should also get hold of some filler (microballoons) to mix with the epoxy and use this for the finishing touches DONT USE CAR FILLER always use epoxy. It must then be painted/sealed with epoxy before your final finishing coat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stang4u2nv View Post
    Guys i'm working on the repair of my gp1200r hull... I have the epoxy resin and catalyst and sanding is almost done... My question is to apply the resin should i sand all the way down to the fiberglass?? Or i can just sand until its nice and smooth? What are your takes on this? I have never done hull repairs but i guess its time to start.... Thanks in advance
    not interested in buying a hull ? ? i have 1

I actually am finished sanding and i applied epoxy resin to almost the wuole bottom of hull and its all sanded down. Just waiting on good weather to apply gel coat by hand. Roller or brush still deciding. Either way i dont care if it comes out 100 percent good since noone will put their noses up to my ski bottom. As long as it floats a d looks decent i'm straight. I had a lot of sanding to do but all. That is over.

+1
    Sounds like you did it the hard way, theres no need to cover the ski in epoxy resin. But I'm guessing you did this to get the gel coat to bond. Only the hull material is SMC so you could have painted strait over the top of the old paint without epoxy if you wanted.

This is what I would recomend.
    Scuff the paint with 320 grit till its dull and no longer shines. Put on a nice thick coat of 2 pack epoxy primer give it 24hrs and sand it til it looks mint a nice thick coat allows you to true the hull and hide any blemishes/scratches ext. And finish with a polyurethane 2 pack if you want to put down a clear coat over the top do it straight away when the colour is still tacky this way it is more durable and less prone to flaking/chipping off.

Gel coat will be a pain in the ass seriously I wouldn't even bother, you will be sanding for weeks to get it looking half decent. It works great in a mold because it comes out perfect but spaying/rolling it on means you will have to sand it ultra smooth and then polish it to make it shine. At least do a test piece off the ski and see whats involved in making it look good before you cover the whole ski.

Great advice man i'll test a small section first... Thanks

Thread Information