Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05 1300r - DEAD in water!

I have a 2005 that was out on the water and it seems it was not running correctly. Real slow out of hole and not hitting top speed either.

So i was running then all of sudden it dies and it will not crank over. It acts like a boat that has been hydrolocked or something. When i hit the starter it just clicks like a bad ground then the bilge kicks on.

I towed it in and then took the plugs out to see if i could turn it over... No go. Pulled the pump and shaft to see if i could turn it over by hand.. No go. Starter sounds like its wanting to click over then just humms. Hooked up a fresh battery and getting almost 14v on the charger then when i turn it over it goes to Lo voltage.

No errors but 01 on the digital.

Could the engine be seized up? Two of the plugs were dry and one was grimey/grit.

Also is it possible that the oil pump went out or maybe the starter is bad? Just not that technical when it comes to troubleshooting but very mechanically inclined. The guy i purchased it from said he did a D-Plate and that was the only mods.

Thanks for reading and any input would be great.

+1
    You might have to pull that cyl. head and look at those pistons and walls...

+1

Lightbulb ??

Hey there...

First of all welcome to the forum..

NOW THEN:.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomTrain View Post
    Could the engine be seized up? Two of the plugs were dry and one was grimey/grit..
    I think that statement there will tell you all is not well with this motor..

Take some pictures and post them up..

Once we can see what you have..
    A solution can be found..

Gerry

I guess pictures of the cylinders is what you need? Not that familiar but i can take the head off.. Is there a manual or a help guide just so i dont mess things up. If not i can dig into it. So if the engine is seized im assuming it wouldnt turn over?

Quick question is there a warning signal if the oil pump isnt working?

Will do this weekend and post pictures.

Thanks in advance.

+1
    Welcome to the forum. First of all, pull the plugs out and mark them cylinder 1-2-3 as they come out. Alot of the time your plugs will tell you which cylinder might be hurt. Do the simple stuff first, post up pics and we can go from there.

Ok took a look at the pistons. very dry and not in good shape. The center cylinder is broke it seems and was hitting the top of the head. Also there is a gash in the center cylinder about 1" deep into the wall. Now My question is if the rod broke will the crank more than likely be bent?

Also there was not much oil in any cylinder.

Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0024.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	211144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	211143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	211142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0022.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	211141  

+1
    For sure you are going have to pull your center cylinder. You will probably answer your own questions about the rod being bent once that is done. If the plug is bent from the piston kissing the head, then it may be from loosing a bearing on the big end. We won't be able to help you until we get more info though.

Also, keep an eye on other details, like if you perhaps have lost an oil line and if there is oil in the hull bottom. This bad cylinder and piston may be symptoms of the real problem that you have not discovered yet. Other symptoms may be a bad crank, but so far there is not enough info., so keep digging and posting.

The exhaust that is attached to the manifold. Does that come off in one piece because i cannot seem to reach a few bolts that are angled and close up the the side of the hull. I was thinking maybe taking it off from the rubber line to the manifold all in one piece. Is that possible?

+1
    The exhaust that is attached to the manifold. Does that come off in one piece because i cannot seem to reach a few bolts that are angled and close up the the side of the hull. I was thinking maybe taking it off from the rubber line to the manifold all in one piece. Is that possible?
    Remove the coupler that connects the U pipe to the lower pipe. Getting that 1 rear bolt from the Upipe to manifold is a pain, after the first time it gets easier. You need to rotate the u pipe until you can remove it from the hull, might take a few to get it out the first time.

+1

You could use a 14mm elbow socket with a short handle ratchet to get to it and painters tape to protect the hull edge... the pic here I know you CAN'T see it ...but you know its behind there.... that's how I remember getting to it...might be easier ways...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00119[1].jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	211643

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information