2 RXP's with dbl trailer for $5500?

First let me say this forum is awesome! I'm new to this and looking to buy my first jet ski, with out this forum and all of the info I've gotten from reading through it I don't know if I'd take the plunge into buying one. So thanks to all!

Heres the scoop:

2 2004 RXP's with dbl trailer $5500 cash

Hours 35 on one and 40-50 on the other

Rich kid had them and were not used much since purchased new however one of them may need a new engine and the other needs a new key.

The mechanic advised the engine on one was taking in water and worse-case it would cost $2300 for a new motor (if I installed it), otherwise ski was in great shape body wise etc..

The other ski is without a key so the mechanic had not been able to check too much out. Mechanic is selling these for his cousin so he explained the owner lost the key and did not want to deal with it so he is looking to unload both for $5500 cash. Mechanic advised the ski that needs a new key has 40-50 hours and should be ready for the water once re-keyed and reset by dealer.

Mechanic is in process of getting his cousin to get a new key so we can check it out further. Once he has a key I am going to go back and check it out to do pressure tests and test drive etc..

Assuming the one ski is running good, it seems $5500 would be a great price but I really do not know what all goes in to replacing an engine if I wanted to get it running. It seems I could part it out and come out ahead pretty easy or just keep the one as a parts ski. What do you guys think? I don't want to get in over my head but no matter how my noob eyes look at it seems like a smart choice. Oh one last thing - the owner tired to get them vinyl wrapped for some reason the vinyl would not stick so he gave up and them repainted - both skis fresh black paint and look great! Also 2 brand new Sea-Doo covers.

NADA shows these as apprx $4500-5000 each. What should I look for when I go back to check out the "good" one?

Any advice or guidance is much welcomed, thanks!

+1
    Caveat emptor.
    Even if it's not a scam; without a warranty, it's a crap shoot.
    If they have eaten the ceramic washers or dropped a valve, it can cost you thousands each for parts and labor for a proper repair.
    Read this:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-Metal-Washers

Ah good info, thanks for the direction on this. Seems like the one already has had this happen and know I know what to look for on the "good" one. If all is well with the good one and I were to replace the washers and bearings do you think the $5500 is still a good deal?

What is an 04 RXP with blown engine worth, parted etc?

+1
    A good deal? I don't know; it depends on what you're buying them for. If you just want to get out on the water and ride, then with that same $5,000 or 6,000 you can probably still find a brand new Honda with a full warranty, or maybe a slightly used Sea-Doo or Yamaha that is still under an extended warranty which you can transfer into your name for another year or two. Personally, I wouldn't own any of these PWC without a warranty, but I'm more into riding than I am wrenching or trying to flip an old ski or selling parts.

+1
    I say it's a good deal, offer 4K and you will be able to make double that just parting both skis out!

Thread Information