Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fianlly!!!!!!

+1

Fianlly!!!!!!

After over a year of tinkering with a 97 SLTH 700 that did not run when I got it, I got to spend a very enjoyable 4 days on the lake with it. You have no idea how many times I was ready to roll it over the hill and walk away, but thanks to you guys here, it is finally up and running. Changing the ignition upgrade is what finally brought it to life after the old igition fried 2 new batteries among all the other things I tried.

There is still one small flaw in it. After ideling out of no wake when you first start out, I have to feather the throttle 2 or 3 times and then I can open it up. If I don't feather it, it will just bog out and die. My thinking is I need to rebuild the carbs on it, but I was wondering if you guys knew of anything else that would cause this.

I am also wondering what kind of rpm I should get out of it. About top I could get was 6450, should I get more?

Before I forget, I want to thank all of you that have posted in helping get this thing running. My entire family had a blast on the thing for 4 days!

My SLT 700 has done the same since new. I suspect the plugs get oil fouled at low rpm.
    Last edited by SoCalPaul; 08-20-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Typo

+1
    Congrats is nice to see the Polaris's hit the H2O

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
    After over a year of tinkering with a 97 SLTH 700 that did not run when I got it, I got to spend a very enjoyable 4 days on the lake with it.

You have no idea how many times I was ready to roll it over the hill and walk away, but thanks to you guys here, it is finally up and running.

Changing the ignition upgrade is what finally brought it to life after the old ignition fried 2 new batteries among all the other things I tried.

...I want to thank all of you that have posted in helping get this thing running. My entire family had a blast on the thing for 4 days!
    Glad to hear it is now running well for you

For others who may be reading along - It may seem expensive at first, but putting the ignition update kit in really does remove a major reliability question.

Anyone with a red domestic engine in a 1996-1999 Polaris PWC (except for the 1200 engines) should have an Ignition Update installed.

Having a reliable ignition system in your PWC is worth the initial cost (about $300) of the Update Kit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Glad to hear it is now running well for you

For others who may be reading along - It may seem expensive at first, but putting the ignition update kit in really does remove a major reliability question.

Anyone with a red domestic engine in a 1996-1999 Polaris PWC (except for the 1200 engines) should have an Ignition Update installed.

Having a reliable ignition system in your PWC is worth the initial cost (about $300) of the Update Kit.
    I agree after going through all I did trying to avoid doing it! BUT, can anybody answer me about my 2 questions?

There is still one small flaw in it. After ideling out of no wake when you first start out, I have to feather the throttle 2 or 3 times and then I can open it up. If I don't feather it, it will just bog out and die. My thinking is I need to rebuild the carbs on it, but I was wondering if you guys knew of anything else that would cause this.

I am also wondering what kind of rpm I should get out of it. About top I could get was 6450, should I get more?

Quote Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post

Before I forget, I want to thank all of you that have posted in helping get this thing running. My entire family had a blast on the thing for 4 days!
    My buddy & I have owned a pair of 97 SLT 700s since new. They have always bogged a little after a long idle. We suspect fuel/oil fouling of the plugs. If you give it a light throttle through the no wake zone, it shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately our SLTs don't have a tach so I can't answer your other question.

Good luck,
    Paul
    Last edited by SoCalPaul; 08-20-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling

+1
    I pulled my carbs off to check the low spped screws. In a post I read in the tech section it states my lows (no high adjustment) should be at 1 7/8. Mine were just a little shy of 1 1/2 so I opened them up to 1 7/8. Could this possibly have been the cause of having to feather throttle to get going?

My sl650 does the same thing. It's a pain, but it's something I have learned to deal with so far. I was guessing that the plugs were getting fouled too the first few times it happened. But since I can get it going after a few seconds I dont worry much about it anymore.

its a combination of the low speed screw and the idle rpm screw that will fix these problems.

also i couldnt find a 700 slth 1997 in the polaris service manual.

+1
    yeah I messed up, its a 98. That is more of the kind of info I was looking for, I am thinking there has to be a way of getting that bogg/stutter out of the start off. Would you go with opening up the low speed or closing it more to try to get it out?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information