Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engine runs.shaft doesn't turn,

Sucked rocks up in river.engine stopped running,prop was jamed Disasembled prop and took rocks out.engine starts up now but drive shaft does not move. What kind of job is this gonna be to fix

Depends on what ski. Sounds like to stripped the coupling, look there first.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Depends on what ski. Sounds like to stripped the coupling, look there first.
    It's a 2005 ultra 150. Is the coupling easy to get to. How much would a shop charge. Thanks.

gotta pull the motor not a hard job i can have mine out in a hour now.

Quote Originally Posted by pokechop2006 View Post
    gotta pull the motor not a hard job i can have mine out in a hour now.
    Does the coupler protect the engine and drive shaft from getting damaged when the impeller jams. Thanks.

not for sure i think its for vibration issues

Quote Originally Posted by pokechop2006 View Post
    not for sure i think its for vibration issues
    I called a shop and they said mite be spindle on the tranny side striped. Could be like 500 dollar job

does this sound about right, or am I in for a much larger more extensive fix? I know we really won't know until I start taking it apart, but was trying to get a rough price range.

The prop stoped instantly, as the rocks were wedged in the pump. I took it apart removed the rocks, put it all back together, thought everything was okay, started it up and with the seat off, inspected things...That's when I saw the drive shaft wasn't moving when the motor was running...

Help!!!!!!!
    Last edited by screamindemon; 08-20-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: added more specifics of what's wrong...

+1
    I'd vote for stripped splines on between the driveshaft and the pump. There is no 'tranny' in a JetSki.

Take the cover off the drive coupling and have someone turn the coupling by hand (easier if you remove the spark plugs). Crawl underneath the 'Ski and see if the shaft is turning. My bet is that you'll see the shaft turns but the impeller doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I'd vote for stripped splines on between the driveshaft and the pump. There is no 'tranny' in a JetSki.

Take the cover off the drive coupling and have someone turn the coupling by hand (easier if you remove the spark plugs). Crawl underneath the 'Ski and see if the shaft is turning. My bet is that you'll see the shaft turns but the impeller doesn't.
    Thanks

The shaft doesn't turn when the engine is running, perhaps the splines on the opposite end of the drive shaft...where connects to the motor???

Take the coupler cover off at the rear of the engine and see how your coupler looks. My bet is all the fingers are sheared off of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information