Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    121

    Yamaha fzs ride plate install

    I installed my ride plate today and I was fitting the last bolt that holds the plate closest to the speed sensor and it keeps on spinning the bolts ate not threaded so it must be turning inside. Has any1 come accross this before and how did you fix it.
    Thanks


  2. #2
    bkweld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St John's River,N FL.
    Posts
    147
    I have heard of this happening. did you heat up the bolts w/ small torch before removing them? Yamaha uses an excessive amount of thread lock.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    121
    No not at all actually to bolts removed with little effort. I can't see the plate falling off but it would give me peive of mind if I could get the last bolt near perfect

  4. #4
    Addicted Member 5001craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    11
    I had this happen. I actually cross threaded the first screw I installed (did it in the water on the lift and the lift was a bit in the way if you need an excuse).



    Mine broke-off a bit of the insert in the hull and it came out with the screw. There were a lot of threads up inside so I purchased some metric SS screws that were longer and used the longest one that would fit without bottoming out.

    I believe the threaded portion is replaceable. Looks fairly straightforward to me too.

    Oh, and I wouldn't run it without feeling comfortable that the screw has enough threads in contact.

  5. #5
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by FZSSHO View Post
    I can't see the plate falling off but it would give me peive of mind if I could get the last bolt near perfect
    (DO NOT) ride the ski if you have a front bolt missing the water pressure will get in between and rip the plate right out.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    I had this happen. I actually cross threaded the first screw I installed (did it in the water on the lift and the lift was a bit in the way if you need an excuse).



    Mine broke-off a bit of the insert in the hull and it came out with the screw. There were a lot of threads up inside so I purchased some metric SS screws that were longer and used the longest one that would fit without bottoming out.

    I believe the threaded portion is replaceable. Looks fairly straightforward to me too.

    Oh, and I wouldn't run it without feeling comfortable that the screw has enough threads in contact.
    How would I replace the thread would I have to do it from inside the ski?

    And jimtganks for saving me a bigger repair bill and more problems

  7. #7
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by FZSSHO View Post
    How would I replace the thread would I have to do it from inside the ski?

    And jimtganks for saving me a bigger repair bill and more problems
    You need part 22
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=170&B=29

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    121
    Thanks Jim I'll order it 2nite. Shoul I try a longer screw too see if it will work in the meantime or am I wasting my time

  9. #9
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by FZSSHO View Post
    Thanks Jim I'll order it 2nite. Shoul I try a longer screw too see if it will work in the meantime or am I wasting my time
    As long as you do not go to long of a bolt and it bottoms out before it tightens the plate.

  10. #10
    leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    TAMPA
    Posts
    1,160
    +1
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by jim's performance View Post
    (do not) ride the ski if you have a front bolt missing the water pressure will get in between and rip the plate right out.
    +100,do not

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. R&D Ride Plate Install for fzs
    By FZSSHO in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 05:16 AM
  2. fzr- fzs ride plate
    By JIM'S PERFORMANCE in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 11:31 AM
  3. R&D ride plate install question
    By superair in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 02:15 AM
  4. Ride plate installation
    By skoepp in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 09:01 AM
  5. Ride plate install Worcester MA area
    By bruinsrme in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •