Virage TXI 1200 starting problems

I have a 2001 TXI 1200 that is currently at the local dealer and they are scratching their heads. The ski was working fine. Went for a 40 min run and turned it off at the dock. Then it would not start 2 minutes later. Pulled it out of water and took it to dealer. They got it to start by holding the throttle wide open but they said the fuel pressure was way to low. They changed the fuel pump and the fuel pressure is now good. Same problem exists. In order to start you have to hold the throttle wide open. It seem to run fine after. You can shut it off and it will restart immediately as it should. If you let it sit 10 secs you have to hold the throttle open again. Polaris says its probably voltage irregularities from a stator going bad. Seems strange that both the fuel pump and the stator would immediately fail together. Have any ideas?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Is this dealer familiar with the Polaris Ficht fuel injection system? Sounds like maybe not.

I would first unplug the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). See if it now starts and idles. It will NOT respond to throttle with the sensor unplugged. If it starts and idles with the TPS unplugged, and does not when the TPS is plugged back in, then the TPS is bad.

Some Ficht engines do NOT start and idle with the TPS unplugged (not sure why, but it happens), in which case the only reliable test is to install a new TPS.

The other thing to monitor is voltage on White/Red wire, without unplugging any injectors. Voltage should be over 20 volts when cranking, and over 40 volts when engine is running at any RPM.

Thanks I think they checked the throttle sensor but i dont know if they tried a new one. Im not sure how they can tell if its bad. Would the diagnostic tool they have tell them?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by maetubson View Post
    Thanks I think they checked the throttle sensor but i dont know if they tried a new one.

I'm not sure how they can tell if its bad. Would the diagnostic tool they have tell them?
    The only reliable test for a TPS is to install a new or known good TPS.

No other test is going to provide a certain answer.

The dealer's diagnostic software can show some TPS failure modes, but not all of them.

Ok so I just picked up the machine from the dealer. They water tested and once it was running it ran really well. It is hard to start and you have to open up the throttle to get it going. Their other claim is that the charging system is only running at 12.8 volts when the machine is running. I could be wrong but I only ever remember it running at that number on the gauge on the dash. They are still claiming that they think its a stator problem. Do you conquer? Would the machine run well in the water once started if its a stator problem? My instinct tells me its the TPS.

+1
    MFI dash display voltage can be incorrect. Multi-meter is required to confirm battery charging voltage with engine running.

With a charged battery, voltage while running should be over 13.5 volts, and usually around 14.5 volts, measured with a multi-meter.

A weak 45 volt supply can cause hard starting. Measure voltage on White/Red wire while cranking. It should be over 20 volts.

Weak injector voltage on White/Red wire can be a bad EMM, bad stator, or damaged flywheel magnets. All three are possible, with EMM failure a somewhat more likely suspect.

Any of these can cause weak injector voltage while cranking. Once the engine does get started, the higher RPM (compared to cranking) can cause the voltage to rise enough to keep it going.

Thanks a lot. Your really knowledgeable. I see your in Toronto. I'm in Midland I'll try measuring the red white wire

Thread Information