Sheared crankcase bolt

Getting ready to put my Waverunner engine together this morning and was torque-ing up the crankcase bolts and sheared the 16th one. It's one of the closest ones to the flywheel.

It sheared with about 90% of the threaded portion still inside. So, my guess is that if I cracked the case again, there wouldn't be any of the bolt shaft sticking up from the hole that I could use to back the bolt out.

Can I move forward with this one bolt missing/sheared?

I'm guessing not because of the possibility of a leak, but since it is literally next to another bolt, maybe I'd be ok.

What are my options if I do need to get this removed from upper half of the crankcase?

I decided to go ahead and crack the case again and get the bolt extracted. First attempt with a bolt extractor didn't go so well with the drill bit breaking off. Going to take it to a local dealer who said they can remove it.

Nothing like getting air, while sitting in a chair VonnerNIX's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO
    That's some bad luck man. I had a helluva time removing a sheared bolt from an old ski I had. I also broke an eazy-out off in the bolt. Not fun. Hope they can get it out for you.

Wylie, Texas
    In general, if it has to do with the engine fix it with pride. It's not like it was one screw of two holding a bracket for a harness in place or similar.

Well, received the upper section of the crankcase back yesterday. 3 hours of labor - they apparently broke a few drill bits as well. In the end they had to drill out the bolt and essentially added in a threaded sleeve. For the cost, I probably could have purchased a used crankcase. Next time I'll seek out a good local machine shop; I'm sure they could have done it for much less.

Thread Information