Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Compression on Genesis

Hey All....

Just got ski back from shop (has issue with slow speeds) and appears there was a broken ground wire on coil....anyway they checked the compression and stated it was 130 - 145 - 120.......and said it was fine. Although they are all above 120, I believe a learned professional here in the forums stated they should also be within 5% of each other.

Ski seems to run fine, although tops out about 43 (I thought a 1200 Polaris was a 50+ ski)....my question is, should I be concerned with those numbers and what would cause the fluctuation...

Thanks...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    That is a significant variation in compression. Whether it is the root cause of your low power is hard to say.

Carburetor or fuel injected engine?

What is the max sustained RPM at full throttle?
    RPM is a better indication of engine power than displayed speed.

A well running engine should be in the mid-6000RPM range. 6500RPM, maybe a little higher.

You may find the links below helpful

Ski is FI....Took the ski out this weekend......sustained RPM at full throttle was somewhere over 6000.......we were cruising without any problems at all. However, I am still having issues at low RPM. Ski starts everytime and will idle fine. When given throttle, it seems like the ski hesitates, bogs a bit or just simply doesn't run smooth. But after it gets to 4000 rpm and over, runs great. Also stalled a few times during run but started right back up without missing a beat. Check engine light came on a couple times as well....but eventually went out.

I love the ski but need it to run at lower speeds (for the wife) as well as top speeds (for me LOL)

Studio 143: TPS (Throttle Position sensor) Classic symptoms Starts, runs at very low RPM then Missfires at 3 to 5000 RPM then runs fine up to max.

Thanks Bluerich3....just ordered one from "partspitstop" however won't be here for a week. Anyone familiar with replacement procedure for TPS? Took the Genesis out again this past weekend (gotta love living in Florida) and except for the low end bogging down and stalling once....her top end was great. Had calm waters and wide open ski registered 6800 average without a hicup. Speedometer read somewhere around 58....

+1
    The new TPS should come with instructions. Fairly straightforward.

6800RPM sounds like a healthy engine, power-wise

Thanks K447.....I thought they would come with instructions but wanted to be sure.

Well the new TPS finally arrived and wouldn't you know it, there were no instructions enclosed. Although I am new to this, I do want to learn to fix my skis myself. For the life of me however, I can't find anything on the polaris engine that evenly remotely resembles this TPS......thought it would be simple, just replace the same way it comes off. Any help locating where the TPS is located on GenesisI 1200 would be greatly appreciated.

OK...found the TPS, at the rear of engine on throttle body. Next question. What are the bolts torqued at? Any recommendation on a good torque wrench to buy?

Thanks all...

+1
    On your 2001 Genesis, the TPS is located on the rear end of the throttle body, tucked under the base of the flame arrestor.

Remove the flame arrestor top and element (don't drop the bolts or spacer sleeves). You will find a cable running to the TPS, with a 3-pin connector at the TPS. Squeeze the locking tab to release the connector and unplug the TPS.

Before you remove the old TPS, note the location of the TPS arm with its plastic nub, and how it moves when you squeeze the throttle.

Remove the two 8mm bolts, and install the replacement TPS.

Important: Do NOT over-tighten the TPS bolts. 8ft-lbs is the spec. If you over-torque the bolts it will crack the TPS casing.

While you are in there, check the slack in the throttle cable. When the throttle lever on the handlebar is at rest, there should be just a tiny bit of slack before the throttle plates start to move. There must be some slack, or the EMM will sense a problem.

Now fully squeeze the throttle lever, and confirm that the throttle plates inside the throttle bodies are fully open.

If idle slack is excessive, or the plates do not fully open at WOT, adjust the throttle cable. There is an adjustment with a locking nut just a few inches along the throttle cable from where the cable connects to the front of the throttle body. Always re-check the slack at idle after adjusting the throttle cable, and always snug down the locking nut after making an adjustment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information