Sell or keep my GP1300R??

I bought it back in 06. The closest lake is 2 hours away. We got about 8 trips in 06 & 07. In 08, gas was $4.20gal so the only trip we made was in like april. Missed all last year because the wife was pregnant/had baby. This year, the little one is still too young to go. I've been trying to get it to the lake the last few weekends, but something always comes up on friday night and screws up the plan. I don't care what the excuse is next sunday, this boat is getting in the water. I really need to get it out to dial in the EFI controller and break in the motor (new rings and seals). I've had it for sale locally for most of the summer, but can't get a buyer. The only reason i'm trying to get rid of it is for a daily driver. However, i think i'm just going to get a loan to buy another car.

Well, the wifes pregnant again. Meaning next season is out. After this next trip, the earliest this ski will see the lake again is possibly 2 years from now. I plan on filling the tank with 32:1 premix (will keep the fuel from turning horrible) when winterizing this year. Also, will wax like crazy and syran wrap it up. Remove tires and tongue from trailer and double cover it (its outside).

I'm noticing these ski's are going for cheap these days (~$4k in great condition). I'd be taking a hefty loss selling for that cheap ($6k purchased, ~$4k in upgrades/repair). For what it is, i think its an amazing watercraft and i enjoy the hell out of it when its on the water. I know that if i sell it, i'm going to regret it if i want another down the road. Plus, it'll be dam near impossible to find another ski that is in great condition, cared for and priced right. If i keep it, i see it everyday just sitting there not being used and it'll make me mad. So i'm kind of stumped on what to do.

Thanks,
    James

+1
    keep it. why do you need a daily driver?

Getting to the point where my z28 has way too much invested, just to have some idiot hit me and destroy it. Been my daily for the last year and a half. From parking at work, its got a few door dings now. Some chick in a truck hit the bumper a few months ago. A teenager txting rear ended my bumper last winter. ETC! I like my stuff perfect so this car needs to sit in the garage and be my weekend cruiser/hot rod. When i get me a daily, i'm going to fix all the exterior cosmetic and get it repainted. The current paint is actually not bad for a 16yr old car, but like i said, i want it perfect.

+1
    i was in the same boat with my 90 mustang. after being around with mustang people a while now, i see allot of people sell their cars because of reasons like your reason to sell the ski and they regret it. if its in good shape and the way you want it then keep it.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    You should trade your ski for an 06 Harley Davidson, mint condition with some fun extras, under 3k miles. As luck would have it, I have one of those.

Okay, honestly, if yuou need a daily driver, just buy a mechanically sound small POS for under a grand. I have a 90 civic hatch I bought 4 years ago for $500 and only needed a cv axle. it has never let me down, has 230,000+ miles on it and runs very well considering that fact. I only put oil and gas in it and it gets great gas mileage. Parts for them are almost free anymore and I could realy care less about dings. Something like this will allow you to keep your other toys and not break the bank. insurance is dirt cheap and if it ever breaks down you still have your Z28, untill you get it back on the road which as I said before, would be pretty cheap. Thats my opinion...unless you really want the Harley. :P

P.S. noticed your name, you could find a nice miata for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    i was in the same boat with my 90 mustang. after being around with mustang people a while now, i see allot of people sell their cars because of reasons like your reason to sell the ski and they regret it. if its in good shape and the way you want it then keep it.
    Definatly don't want to regret it, i've been down that road. I had a miata a decade ago that was tricked out. Had 15psi of boost, turbo was maxed out at that point, but i wanted more power. So i tore it all down to do a 302 conversion. Parents dropped a bomb on me one day and said i had 2 months to get all my vehicles cleared out because they were moving 2k miles away (had 5 at the time). Ended up parting it out on ebay and scraping the body. I wish i still had that car. One day, i plan on getting another miata and finishing that project, but daily driver now has to be able to haul 2 car seats.

even if you don`t ride the ski, if you can hold on to it, it`s better to keep it than to get rid of it. especially since yami doesn`t make the GPR anymore...
    scenario, place the ski in the living room all waxed up, under glass of course! ...

Thread Information