+1

Check those screens!

Checking everything out this morning and noticed the intake screen was partially blocked from dried weeds.

Also found that the inlet screen in the hull for the auto-siphon system had oil,water mixture on it(milkshake looking and dirty). it was completly clogged. I used a propane torch on just the screen and burned it all off. looks good now.. take the screen off the hose first! lol

Both could of been trouble so check those screens and see for yourself if they are clear.

Installing pissers on the heads instead of the water rail will act as an early warning system for cooling water blockages, also remove the pick up screen in the pump and install an inline strainer on the waterline in from the pump that way you dont have to try to reach the pick up screen in the pump nozzle (this is only possible to reach on the pro 785 cause the extension is behind the stator) on other models the pump cone will not allow you to reach the pick up screen by hand.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    ...remove the pick up screen in the pump...
    That plastic mesh screen inside the jet pump nozzle is there to keep medium size debris from getting stuck inside the cooling water passages.

Removing that mesh screen means that not only will more of the smaller stuff get through, but also things that can jam inside the cooling passages. The two internal nozzle passages are maybe 1/4 inch diameter inside the fitting. If something gets stuck in there, not only will it not reach the in-line strainer, but you will have to take the jet pump nozzle off to get it out.

I suggest that you keep that plastic mesh screen in place inside the pump nozzle, and check it with an inspection mirror from time to time. You can also ask someone with smaller hands to reach in and check or remove anything that may be stuck onto the screen surface. Even on my extended pumps with reverse, it is possible to maintain that screen.

+1
    I like getting rid of the plastic screen, always have. Never had an issue........

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    That plastic mesh screen inside the jet pump nozzle is there to keep medium size debris from getting stuck inside the cooling water passages.

Removing that mesh screen means that not only will more of the smaller stuff get through, but also things that can jam inside the cooling passages. The two internal nozzle passages are maybe 1/4 inch diameter inside the fitting. If something gets stuck in there, not only will it not reach the in-line strainer, but you will have to take the jet pump nozzle off to get it out.

I suggest that you keep that plastic mesh screen in place inside the pump nozzle, and check it with an inspection mirror from time to time. You can also ask someone with smaller hands to reach in and check or remove anything that may be stuck onto the screen surface. Even on my extended pumps with reverse, it is possible to maintain that screen.
    Quite a few of the members on here including myself have removed the screens without incident, in my particular situation, I had no other choice. My skis spend all summer in the water so I dont really get a chance to examine the pump as if it were on a trailer, also the lake I live on is very weedy so the grate snags weeds and the prop chops them up really fine which in turn clogs the screen. This happens in a relatively short period of time, lets say maybe ten minutes of riding. Since the mod on all of my skis the problem is solved, only need to clean out the strainer a couple times a day.

Thread Information