Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question 07 250x Just not working the way its supposed to

Hey everyone, I've got a big problem. I have an 07 Ultra 250X with a RIVA Stage I kit installed and the ski has 230 hrs on it. The Ski started to give problems but we got most of them worked out. After that it ran beautifully but unfortunately i had no tach and did not check my top speed. A few days later I took it out in the lagoon I noticed the ski kind off holding back and going and my boost was not at maximum and it was not running as it used to run before. When i was flushing my ski i noticed one of my cooling lines broke of from my exhaust manifold (in pics below, the line with a tie strap on it) , and then it was downhill from there. My second mechanic took out the whole exhaust manifold off to work on the cooling line, and said that my first mechanic who also did an engine job (because as i stated before it gave trouble so he had to do a an engine job) put silicone on the gasket to hold it and it was clogging the exhaust flow, so he removed the silicone, fixed the cooling line and also he found a hose from the intake was also broken off and he fixed that. When I put in the water and it was worse. When i gave it gas it just did not respond and it started to splutter, and when i came off the gas, and gradually went on the gas then it started to work but horrible. It worked as though there was no supercharger. The RPM's were around 7,000 and top speed was was around 58mph. I carried it back to my first mechanic and he changed the same hoses ( the one that is green) and he said that the second mechanic took of the silicone which he put on because the gasket was not new. It was bent and how i was loosing compression because of that and thats why he put it. So he gave me back the ski with the new hose but still with a the bad gasket. Yesterday I took it back from my 2nd mechanic and went down to the bay to test it out. After letting it warm up for at least 5 mins I banged the gas and boy was I upset. It worked horribly, I would say it's average top speed was 53 mph and rpm's were around 6800-6900. But at least he got rid of the spluttering and the other problem i was having with the throttle. I really dont know what to do now. Can you please help me and feel free to ask any questions about the ski cause i know the story is kinda confusing. Thank you Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00573.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	211247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00574.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	211246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00575.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	211245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00576.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	211248

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    have you cleaned the intercooler out?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    have you cleaned the intercooler out?
    Nope ive never and not sure how to.

maybe a fouled plug, maybe a loose charger belt, maybe air horn loose and sucking against hull, maybe clogged intercooler, maybe mechanic 1 and or 2 did something we know nothing about.

+1
    sounds like too much history for the WWW. to play a guessing game with take it back to your mechanic a tell them to sort it out.
    one thing i would get rid of that filter on the egr ports and block them off with plates.

+1
    IMHO- Don't go back to either one of those mechanics ever again and don't let anyone you know take there skis there either!

I agree, there is WAY to much going on with that ski to guess what the problem is at this point over the web. Some general notes I will add that may help:
    -NEVER, EVER, EVER reuse an exhaust gasket. It will leak water back into the exhaust and into the motor on these skis. Some may get away with it but it's really not worth the risk for $50 in gaskets tops.
    -What the hell is that green hose connecting to??
    -Why is there a "stud" at the front upper exhaust bolt area?
    -There is a LOT of rust on that motor....makes me wonder about the belt/pulley area on the back of the motor.
    -I'd be scared to death to try to remove bolts on that ski for fear of breaking every one of them due to the rust.

I don't mean to be harsh but looking at that motor I'm not suprised to hear that it doesn't run right.

What you really need to do is find a better mechanic to do your work and read up on spraying things down to prevent corrosion.....JMHO..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    IMHO- Don't go back to either one of those mechanics ever again and don't let anyone you know take there skis there either!

I agree, there is WAY to much going on with that ski to guess what the problem is at this point over the web. Some general notes I will add that may help:
    -NEVER, EVER, EVER reuse an exhaust gasket. It will leak water back into the exhaust and into the motor on these skis. Some may get away with it but it's really not worth the risk for $50 in gaskets tops.
    -What the hell is that green hose connecting to??
    -Why is there a "stud" at the front upper exhaust bolt area?
    -There is a LOT of rust on that motor....makes me wonder about the belt/pulley area on the back of the motor.
    -I'd be scared to death to try to remove bolts on that ski for fear of breaking every one of them due to the rust.

I don't mean to be harsh but looking at that motor I'm not suprised to hear that it doesn't run right.

What you really need to do is find a better mechanic to do your work and read up on spraying things down to prevent corrosion.....JMHO..
    +1

You have a complete mess in your ski. I have used silicone on my exhaust gaskets in the past and never popped off the pisser hose due to a clog. Infact I just got done going through an 2009 260x which is 100% bone stock and he managed to pop off a pisser hose. Either way he broke a belt, clogged IC and had bad exhaust gaskets. He had similar issues as you described and slowly got worse. Now spins 7800 and 65+ bone stock.

Good luck and do yourself a favor and find new mechanics to work on your ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
    agree 100% with the above,
    the green hose is the relief valve breather hose i'm guessing just looks very untidy the way its routed.
    the ski looks to need alot more TLC but peoples opinions of clean and clean can be so far apart its not funny,
    i would start with removing the manifold and cleaning it all up making sure surfaces are still flat. replace with new gaskets to correct tensions, and whilst the manifold is off degrease and clean the inner hull and engine with a pressure washer. wouldnt be surprised if all your problems are coming from the exhaust and s/c area given the condition of the motor and incorrect bolts used who knows what else they have used or left off.
    good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    +1

You have a complete mess in your ski. I have used silicone on my exhaust gaskets in the past and never popped off the pisser hose due to a clog. Infact I just got done going through an 2009 260x which is 100% bone stock and he managed to pop off a pisser hose. Either way he broke a belt, clogged IC and had bad exhaust gaskets. He had similar issues as you described and slowly got worse. Now spins 7800 and 65+ bone stock.

Good luck and do yourself a favor and find new mechanics to work on your ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
    I agree with you'll on how the ski is in horrible condition but unfortunately I was not the one with ski for the first 200 hrs. But the general wave of your responses goes in the direction that I need to change the gasket, clean the intercooler, and check the s/c belt. I can do all these things except cleaning the intercooler, can someone post a link to where I can see how to clean the I/C or just tell me how cause I did a search and couldn't find it. Thank you everyone for responding so quickly and being so helpful, it was greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same ski and it is at 221 hrs. This is how the ski should look. Now Kawi will cover some things and for them to cover all you are saying is great. I would first remove the Valve cover blow by and put in blockoff plates (see pic), then take every rusted bolt on that motor and replace or run it on a wire wheel for something else happens. Now, I believe you could get that ski to good working condition, with a lot of TLC and a good afternoon in the garage will do the trick.

Oh yeah for rinsing the intercooler see the thread Milk White
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0049.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	211357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0048.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	211356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0047.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	211358  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information