1999 Genesis Timing Question

Good Day to all

I have the Genesis from hell that I am currently working on. I replaced the mag cylinder again (and lost a piece of my thumb in the process). I did a leak down test and that was fine, held 10 psi for over 10 min. Replaced all the fuel lines, cleaned and checked the fuel selector valve, indexed the crank, and thought I was ready to put in the water. When I did to break it in it had hardly any power. Since I did not want to go WOT during break in I brought it back to the beach and pulled the plugs. The mag plug was clean and wet, the center was black, and the pto was golden brown. I was wondering if I have a timing/stator issue now. I pulled the flywheel cover and had lots of black pieces in there. I did not have a puller with me so that will be a project for thisweekend. My question is, if I get the mag cylinder up to TDC what should the timing mark read? I thought it should be at 0. It is currently at 20.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Also check the crank index.

When each piston is at TDC, the other two should be equally far down from TDC.

Unless the flywheel key is damaged, the MAG cylinder cannot get out of time.

Sounds like you need to pull the flywheel, and figure out what is going on in there.

The manual calls for 18 degrees btdc +-2 degrees @ 3000 rpm, sounds like your stator is junk, or the key sheared.

Thanks for the reply. I did index the crank. That was okay. If I get the mag cylinder up on TDC what should the mark on the flywheel be? I thought it whoild be zero when not running, mine is currently at about 20.

Click on k447's links that will guide you through the process of timing the motor. Is it at 20 btdc?

yes. If I spin the motor by hand and use a dial indicator to verify tdc on the mag cylinder the flywheel mark is on 20 btdc. should it be 0 when not running and 18 btdc at 3000 rpm?

I would try to verify timing with a timing light while running, have you tested the stator at the connector near the e box?

Thread Information