Water on J-pipe. Where from though ?

hello guys. i am posting a picture of my problem in case someone can help me find the leak. i just want to mention that i had my sc rebuilt and had to take out the exhaust. i cannot recall when exactly i have found the leak, but i think it was more or less after the rebuilt. so it might be something wrong when i installed everything back.

i think i have seen a similar thread but i cannot find it...

thank you in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1631.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	211376  

+1
    looks like very localized, just a few drops from the vent outlet, just above it. clean it up real nice, then take that big stupid tube out, and while on the water have a friend rev the engine while in neutral/reverse. you can sit there with the seat off, and look straight down into that area, look for any fresh spray. bring a flashlight.
    my guess is probalby nothing, just a leaky vent tube.

you could also try using some tape to seal the vent tube onto the top opening really well, and go for a 10 min ride, be very careful not to splash any water onto the ski.
    if after 10 minutes you have no sign of water, there is no leak!!

PS most people leave that big stupid tube off, it doenst do much for you , except get in the way.
    spray some good marine grease or protectant on teh supercharger, and especially the junction btw the SC and engine.
    then what little water drips in there wont corrode the SC, or get it stuck to the engine.

+1
    you should consider a shorty waterbox and rear thru hull exit.
    it removes all the exhaust clutter in that model ski, and makes the SC much easier to work on, and the bilge much easier to clean!!
    i know because i have a 2003 GTX SC

i have put a tie wrap around that vent.i hoped myself that that was the case but it didn't solve my problem. also if i removed it totally i believe that any water that comes in will go there again but in a much worse case scenario. i have removed the resonator already but i don't want a thru hull exhaust. as far as claning is concerned i always wash the engine with hot fresh water and then spray some silicone spray on all the engine, since i am riding in salt water only.

I have also worked the engine out of the water with the hose and no leak whatsoever even when revving up to 7000 rpm.

could that vent be my problem ? and how it started suddenly leaking ? is it pure luck that this started after my rebuilt ?

Check that weld directly behind the spots. Look for a hairline crack, seen it before, easy fix if you know someone who welds stainless.

+1
    water from the hose is not enough pressure to show a leak, it needs to be the pressure from the pump/impeller.

if you remove the vent tube, it really wont be any worse than it is now, water will spill into your hull, it cant hurt anything, the SC air intake is very far away, and sealed off from any water coming in there.
    only thing it can hurt is the SC snout where it goes into the engine, just coat it with a heavy high temp marine grease. then water will never corrode the snout to engine mating surfaces.

Ok I will try that againand let you know how it went. but i have the feeling that it has something to do with the exhaust pipe

there was nothing wrong afterall. i put some tape around the tube went for a ride and nothing !! i am very happy again ) thx all for your help!!!

Thread Information