Thread: R&d cam gears

R&d cam gears

Hi everyone I would like to say thank you to all of the ppl that sharing greet information of them own experience.
    I have had a set of the r&d cam gear set but am not used to work with the SHO twin cam I would like to know how to set the cam gear to the desired setting letís say the engine is in TDC and the intake and exhaust cam gear in stock position I used a picture from hitman post just to clarify my ide

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	211401Ex. do I need to turn the intake gear to A5 and keep the engine and the exhaust cam in stock position or there is something that I miss?
    Any feedback would help cuz I did try to do it this way and there was no compression at all?
    Itís greet mod and a lots of racer using it with good results ,but if someone can help in the theory how it works and how it can be adjusted to different position that would be greet informative thread to all of us.
    Thanksí to every one
    jamal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	211400  

+1
    The point of this mod is MOVING the cam position. By using the different bolt hole settings, you are moving the cam position, ever so slightly. Think about what 5 degrees looks like on a protractor. It's not a lot. It's actually hard to tell you have even moved the cam, but if you use the bolt holes on the R&D cam gears, and position the cam correctly before dropping the timing chain back onto the gears, then you are good to go. The trick is positioning the cam correctly before putting the chain back on it.

So, to do this, clamp the exhaust side to the chain will not move on it while you are messing around with the intake side.

After the tensioner is off, and exhaust side clamped, take the chain off the intake side and set it on top of the cam power bolt like I show in that picture. OK, now you are going to have to spin the cam over 90 degrees towards the spark plug hole to get the other bolt. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP ANYTHING DOWN IN THE MOTOR, INCLUDING THE GEAR!

To spin the cam over, I just grab the middle of it (NOT THE LOBES), with a big pair of channel locks. Once you have spun the cam over without the chain on it, you have just lost the intake cam timing. Now you have to get it back.

With the cam still spun over, put the new cam gear on, and start the first bolt using the bolts holes you selected for the cam timing you want. 2A or 5A. Don't tighten down this bolt all the way, just get a good couple turns on there so the bolt and cam gear can't fall off while you turn the cam back over to where it was. Watch the chain when turning the cam gear over without the chain on it, as sometimes it will try to catch back on the gear or get wedged in between the cam tower and the cam gear.

Turn the cam back over to it's previous position, pretty close to where is was before you took the chain off. Now start the second cam gear bolt. Turn it in a few turns, but not to torque spec yet. Here is where you need to really reference where the cam mark compared to the cam tower tic mark is. If you are using the S2 setting (meaning 5A bolt holes on the cam gear), the cam alignment marks are not going to line up exactly the way they were because YOU ARE INTENTIONALLY ADVANCING TIMING. If they did line up just the way they were, then you wouldn't have moved the cam position at all. You follow?

Now, that you have the new intake side cam gear on with the bolts started, you need to position the cam correctly before setting the chain back down on top of it. REMEMBER: you are ADVANCING THE CAM only 5 little degrees. So the tic mark on the intake side cam should be just slightly off from the corresponding cam tower tic mark. Instead of lining up, it should should be about HALF A DOT (meaning the dot on the cam lobe) turned TOWARD THE SPARK PLUG HOLE. It should look like this.

5 DEGREE ADVANCE ON INTAKE SIDE: Notice how it is just SLIGHLY turned towards the spark plug hole. This is what it should look like BEFORE you set the chain back down on top of the gear.

Now here is a picture of what is looked like in the STOCK TIMING POSITION.

Notice how subtle the change is? It's barely moved at all, but it's enough to equate to the 5 degree advance that you want.

If you have more questions just let me know. Post away. If it starts to get too complicated I'll just PM you my number and you can call me. It's not always easy to type all this stuff out and have it make as much sense as it does in my own head, but I'm trying my best.

Thank you Hitman that is what I call comprehensive answer for me, now I know what is the store of the whole thing, itís so hard to find out till someone like you make things looks so easy.
    For me it show how hard you work to get it right and make it easy for us greet job and nice explanation for the whole setup I will do that after I get my head out and fix the valve I bent
    jamal

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shark28 View Post
    Thank you Hitman that is what I call comprehensive answer for me, now I know what is the store of the whole thing, it’s so hard to find out till someone like you make things looks so easy.
    For me it show how hard you work to get it right and make it easy for us greet job and nice explanation for the whole setup I will do that after I get my head out and fix the valve I bent
    jamal
    You had to have been really far off on the timing to bend a valve. In any case, I am very sorry to hear that. Wish I could have helped sooner. I am going to try and make a little video of me moving my exhaust cam back to stock position today to give everybody an even better idea of what this install involves.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    You had to have been really far off on the timing to bend a valve. IN any case, I am very sorry to hear that. Wish I could have helped sooner. I am going to try and make a little video of me moving my exhaust cam back to stock position today to give everybody an even better idea of what this install involves.
    thank you hitman i will take the head any way to but the Riva springs am sure it's 90% off timing but i will get it right, the only thing that was not clear is that the extra wholes lolls now i know why
    thank you
    pls do the video it will help allot

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    You had to have been really far off on the timing to bend a valve. IN any case, I am very sorry to hear that. Wish I could have helped sooner. I am going to try and make a little video of me moving my exhaust cam back to stock position today to give everybody an even better idea of what this install involves.
    +1, it''s not like this is an interference engine. Messing up valves is a lot easier then if things are off.

Quote Originally Posted by shark28 View Post
    thank you hitman i will take the head any way to but the Riva springs am sure it's 90% off timing but i will get it right, the only thing that was not clear is that the extra wholes lolls now i know why
    thank you
    pls do the video it will help allot
    Hope you get sorted soon! Make sure your valve guide is good to go if the valve bent significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    +1, it''s not like this is an interference engine. Messing up valves is a lot easier then if things are off.

Hope you get sorted soon! Make sure your valve guide is good to go if the valve bent significantly.
    sure i will do that thank you

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I was under the impression it IS an interference engine, and if that valve is too far open when the piston comes up, it's going to smack it.

I set my exhaust side cam gear back to stock timing tonight. My buddy who was going to bring over his video camera and help me shoot could not make it, and I could not wait. I needed to get back to the S2 setting so I can install my boost wheel tomorrow night. Have to get everything done in time for this weekend.

I have a buddy who I will soon be installing the cam gears for and I will make him hold a camera while I work.

Thread Information