Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thinking I got a stator problem.....do I have to pull the engine to get the stator?

So after doing some troubleshooting through the service manual and some searching here on the forums, fairly certain I have a bad stator (or CDI) on my 95 SLX 780 (awesome ski btw).

She's been a champ all summer, hit a big wave out on the lake Saturday evening, came down and engine died.

I'll give you the symptoms if anyone wants to chime in on the possibility of another issue I'm all ears (and I did check to see if anything got sucked up into the intake, looked clean).

I'll be doing the resistance test outlined by K447 found here a little later tonight, I'll post results:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...n-Fuji-engines

Like I said, after coming down from a particularly big wave she died. Engine wouldn't even crank, just the starter clicking. Got towed in (friggin mile off shore on lake michigan at 7:30 at night....thank god I had a radio with me) and got it back to my garage.

Checked the battery, voltage was fine. Electrical box was dry, no blown fuses, no visible corrosion or shorts in the box or on any visible wires. Pulled the shaft shroud and when I hit the starter the shaft would turn about a quarter turn then stop. Pulled the plugs, none of them had spark.

Assuming the worst that this is the stator. I'll test to know for sure. But my main question is....do I have to pull the engine to get to the stator? Procedure doesn't looking to difficult (the write up anyway), just no mention of the logistics of actually getting to the front of it.

Guessing I have to pull the thing huh?

i know that sometimes the stator cables run through underneath the engine sometimes people come off a wave and the engine sumtimes crushes the wires maybe not, heard this happening beforeto someone i know, its easy to get into just takle the gas tank out and you should see the front casing take this off and you will see the flywheel carry on to take the fly wheel off with a puller and you will proceed onto see the stator then carry on from there

Here are the resistance testing results. Thinking it's not the stator....

Red/Purple to Yellow - .6 ohms
    White/Yellow to Black - 215 ohms
    Blue/Red to Red/White - 88.8 ohms
    Red/White to Green/Red - 457 ohms

all seem to be within +/- 10%

anyone have any suggestions? can some clarify the process for testing ignition coils.

I understand the black to black/white

but can someone elaborate resistance testing on

"Black to secondary lead" and "lead side to spark plug side"

Little confused?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoanalog View Post
    So after doing some troubleshooting through the service manual and some searching here on the forums, fairly certain I have a bad stator (or CDI) on my 95 SLX 780 (awesome ski btw).

She's been a champ all summer, hit a big wave out on the lake Saturday evening, came down and engine died.

I'll give you the symptoms if anyone wants to chime in on the possibility of another issue I'm all ears (and I did check to see if anything got sucked up into the intake, looked clean).

I'll be doing the resistance test outlined by K447 found here a little later tonight, I'll post results:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...n-Fuji-engines

Like I said, after coming down from a particularly big wave she died. Engine wouldn't even crank, just the starter clicking. Got towed in (friggin mile off shore on lake michigan at 7:30 at night....thank god I had a radio with me) and got it back to my garage.

Checked the battery, voltage was fine. Electrical box was dry, no blown fuses, no visible corrosion or shorts in the box or on any visible wires. Pulled the shaft shroud and when I hit the starter the shaft would turn about a quarter turn then stop. Pulled the plugs, none of them had spark.

Assuming the worst that this is the stator. I'll test to know for sure. But my main question is....do I have to pull the engine to get to the stator? Procedure doesn't looking to difficult (the write up anyway), just no mention of the logistics of actually getting to the front of it.

Guessing I have to pull the thing huh?
    If you don't pull the motor you will have to remove the gas tank. It would be easier to pull the motor as the fuji flywheels are usually very dificult to remove.
    I would pull the pump and driveshaft out ( leaving the pump shoe fastened to the hull) and try to turn the coupler by hand with the plugs out, If it doesnt turn then I would pull the motor.

You are saying the engine doesn't even "crank". Does that mean that the starter is not even turning the motor over? Your ohms test was good so it is most likely not the stator but it could be the CDI assuming that when you are saying "crank" means that you are just not getting any spark. I had this issue and just had to change the CDI. I did an ohms test as you did and found my stator was good and purchased a stator/cdi set and then just used the CDI. The CDI and stator must match so I just made sure I had the same part number when I pulled the bad CDI from the electrical box.

If your issue is that the motor will not actually turn over then you have another issue going on.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCop931 View Post
    You are saying the engine doesn't even "crank". Does that mean that the starter is not even turning the motor over? Your ohms test was good so it is most likely not the stator but it could be the CDI assuming that when you are saying "crank" means that you are just not getting any spark. I had this issue and just had to change the CDI. I did an ohms test as you did and found my stator was good and purchased a stator/cdi set and then just used the CDI. The CDI and stator must match so I just made sure I had the same part number when I pulled the bad CDI from the electrical box.

If your issue is that the motor will not actually turn over then you have another issue going on.
    sorry, yeah I see how my description could be confusing. when I say crank, basically I mean I hit the start button and I hear a click/bang (the normal first sound I hear when I start the ski - just doesn't go any further....normally followed by a "woof woof woof woof woof - vrooooom sound") and can see the shaft turn a quarter turn. But...there is no spark on any of the three plugs when I hit the starter. does that clarify?

sorry....tough to describe sounds in words.

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    If you don't pull the motor you will have to remove the gas tank. It would be easier to pull the motor as the fuji flywheels are usually very dificult to remove.
    I would pull the pump and driveshaft out ( leaving the pump shoe fastened to the hull) and try to turn the coupler by hand with the plugs out, If it doesnt turn then I would pull the motor.
    good advice.....thinking this may be where I'm heading. If it doesn't turn by hand, am I looking at something seized?

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoanalog View Post
    good advice.....thinking this may be where I'm heading. If it doesn't turn by hand, am I looking at something seized?
    I would think it might be a bent driveshaft, or possibly a jammed bendix, I remember a 785 that was on ebay, in the listing the owner stated that he was jumping waves and when he landed the flywheel twisted the crank snout right off. I would not think this was your issue as you can get it to turn a little, and if the flywheel was broken the bendix wouldn't engage at all. I bet it is a bent driveshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    I would think it might be a bent driveshaft, or possibly a jammed bendix, I remember a 785 that was on ebay, in the listing the owner stated that he was jumping waves and when he landed the flywheel twisted the crank snout right off. I would not think this was your issue as you can get it to turn a little, and if the flywheel was broken the bendix wouldn't engage at all. I bet it is a bent driveshaft.
    Another possibility is that the pump itself is damaged, possibly a bent prop or something jammed in there.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Please clarify for me: (no noise sounds please)

Does the engine turn over when you hit the start button?

What's your battery voltage when cranking?

Do you have the plastic cover between the battery and elec box?

Is the ground wire connections clean and tight? (battery and engine plate)

Have you checked the jet pump for an obstruction?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information