+1

Hmmmm. Not sure what happened

Hi,

I have a 96 SLX780. I was going to use it on Saturday. I usually start it up out of the water for a second just to make it easier to start when I launch it... Well, I went to start it out of the water, and it was a bit hard to start, but evenutally started. Once started though, it sounded rough so i shut it off to look at it, and walked behind the ski and there was a bunch of oily stuff leaking out of the back of it.... My best guess is that it was leaking from the hole circled in red in the attached picture. It is located to the right of the impeller on the rear of the machine.... Looks like something might have come out or broken off... I didn't end up launching the ski for obvious reasons. So, my question is what could possibly be leaking. The oil injection system looks fine... Second question if anybody has any idea what the problem is.... How bad is it and how hard would it be to fix?

Thanks much,

Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic_1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	211430

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does your model have one bilge siphon hose at the jet pump nozzle? If yes, then what you have circled is simply a spare fitting on the pump base for a second bilge siphon, which is present only on some models.

I expect that the oily stuff is from your exhaust exit. When the engine is first started, the exhaust tends to be dirty. Water from the water box gets blown out the exhaust, and that water tends to be black.

Re-start the engine and see it if idles better after a few seconds of warm up. Don't let it run more than about 20 seconds on land.

Check the basics; cylinder compression, spark plug tip fouling, etc.

+1
    Great. Thanks for the reply and the image. Black water makes more sense than oil. I couldn't figure out why oil would be coming out. I did restart it right after and it seemed to run fine. I'll start it when I get home just to make sure, but it's probably fine. I won't worry about the hole in the back I have circled. Sounds like it's not used on my machine. Thanks for the post and for relieving a few fears.

Mike

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I agree with K447.

Looks like a bit of oil on the cooling tube and accumulating on the ride plate.

Have you ever disconnected the carbs or oil pump linkage?

If so, maybe you didn't install the linkage correctly and the oil pump is going full tilt VS varying like it should. (It's a fail safe if someone ever connects the oil pump incorrectly)

+1
    I've never disconnected them, but last year when I had the carbs worked on, I'm sure they were disconnected. I've ridden it quite a bit since though, so I'm sure if that was the problem, I would have noticed it before now.... It still smokes so I think the oil is flowing fine... Thanks for the thoughts.

Mike

+1
    That's what I'm getting at.

Most with the oil pump running correctly won't notice the smoke.

You seeing it makes me think it's in the fail safe position.

How often do you have to fill your oil tank?

PS: it's not a problem. Just may be able to save you some oil and prevent that black oily sludge from coming out the exhaust.

+1
    ah, gotcha. I fill it after every ride, but I just top it off.... Maybe a quart or so after 10 gallons of gas (just a guess). I noticed the smoke just because I was looking for it (to make sure I didn't have an oil line come off). How would I check to make sure the pump linkage is installed correctly? I'm assuming I'd have to remove the carbs.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

+1
    A quart of oil for every 10 gals of gas would = 40:1. Definately sounds like the oil pump is running WOT. (most guys question if it's working at all because of the lack of oil that's being used.

Check the manual about the linkage position. That should help you determine the proper position of the oil pump "arm".

You shouldn't have to remove the carbs. Just the oil pump linkage from the carbs. Then reposition the "arm" correctly and re-install the linkage rod.

+1
    Will do.... Thanks for the heads up. Now, to figure out where I saved my manual to..

Thread Information