Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2x 2004 Seadoo RXP. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. wisconsin_quat's Avatar

Dropped a valve in my RXP and took my engine completely apart yesterday...

I have had a few people look at my case and engine, including Tim Zarnsdorf from Nielson in Richmond ILL.

Good news is that the block and case are still good. Bad news is that the 3rd cylinder sleeve has some hairline cracks in it right at the top of the sleeve that run about 3/4 of an inch long. The cylinder itself is in good shape but does have some scores in it that you can catch your fingernail on.

The ski is an 04 RXP with about 100 hours on it. The engine is an SBT rebuild which was installed at 60 hours so it has 40 hours on it. I think what made the valve drop was going full throttle for about 10-15 minutes over lake michigan which made things really hot.

Here is what I have priced out:
    $200 - .50 over piston from SBT to match the other 2 that are still good.
    $500 - Used head
    $250 - Resleeve and hone cylinder 3
    $300 - Gaskets, bolts, rod bearings, head bolts, head gasket and other small misc items.
    -------
    $1250 total - and this is best case scenario.

Few things I'm thinking through;

I'm new to jetski motors but I'm an Audi tech and have about 13 years of experience on automotive applications. Point being is that I'm not sure what the little things are to check for when reassembling the engine that someone with experience would. Of the couple people locally that I know that have quite a bit of experience with the 4tec, it would cost me another $400 or so to get this thing reassembled completely.

I'm playing with the idea of selling the ski as is, and buying an 06 unit I found for $5000. I would hope I could get $3500 for my ski as is? It's green and black, 8.5-9 out of 10 condition wise...

Help!

If you werent so far south I would buy it from ya! If you are an auto tech and had a seadoo manual you should be able to do it on your own. Might want to add in a new timing chain and 08 tensioner, main bearings, balance shaft bearings.

+1
    I wouldnt trust a used head..IF this were me i would be refreshing the head also..New valves,seals and springs...Cheap insurance....And i really dont think running a stock 4 tec at WOT was the cause..Im running 13 1/2 lbs of boost with an 04 cam running WOT runs for miles..Ill bet you had a bad valve to begin with..it just finally let go..04 valves are known for breaking.they had weak stems and if not winterized right up here in the midwest they will rust and get weak causing them to break..

2x 2004 Seadoo RXP. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. wisconsin_quat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I wouldnt trust a used head..IF this were me i would be refreshing the head also..New valves,seals and springs...Cheap insurance....
    I agree - the head I have found has the new valves in it. It actually has new lightened valves in it, from a nice reputable seller. Really though if I was 100% committed to this ski and had an emotional tie to it I would be all over this opportunity to fix it and do it up 110%. However logically (I have the resources) but do not see it logical to put $1000 into a head ($500 used head, and $500 for the Ferrea valve kit)...

Maybe if I knew this thing could have the potential to run wide open throttle for miles and I could use the full 215 horses freely without having to worry about breaking something every year I would be committed.. I mean seriously why can't they make a damn jetski that doesn't take a shit every 100 hours. UHH frustrated.. Then trying to find someone that has a decent reputation that knows anything about these things is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Sorry for the rant. My life just kinda sucks right now.

I agree with your last statement, there is no dealers up here that I trust working on my ski!

+1
    Whatever advice you are getting from Tim Z you should use. He is one of the best in the Country let alone the Midwest.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin_quat View Post
    I agree - the head I have found has the new valves in it. It actually has new lightened valves in it, from a nice reputable seller. Really though if I was 100% committed to this ski and had an emotional tie to it I would be all over this opportunity to fix it and do it up 110%. However logically (I have the resources) but do not see it logical to put $1000 into a head ($500 used head, and $500 for the Ferrea valve kit)...

Maybe if I knew this thing could have the potential to run wide open throttle for miles and I could use the full 215 horses freely without having to worry about breaking something every year I would be committed.. I mean seriously why can't they make a damn jetski that doesn't take a shit every 100 hours. UHH frustrated.. Then trying to find someone that has a decent reputation that knows anything about these things is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Sorry for the rant. My life just kinda sucks right now.

You dont or didnt need to put lightweight valves into a stock head..You could have replaced them with the new OEM valves and been good..BUT since the head you have coming already has them thats a plus..I know what your saying about the logic though...Unfortinatly you have an 04 which was the first year the RXPs came out..So more less you got the guinee pig year..They did have numerous problems with the 04-05 model year skis with valves,Scer clutches,Knock sensors and de-lam issues...A newer 06 and up RXP if left stock will and can run for miles WOT as long as you take care of it and do the maintance..These skis do not take a shit at every 100 hours,thats just a base number for preventable maintance..Seeing your of mechanical back ground you know what im saying..Like Bill stated,Tim is very knowlagable and has alot of information..BUT if you dont want to pay dealer prices there are a few guys right here in the Chicago area that know these skis inside and out...

+1
    While you are rebuilding, check the IC, i just found out my '04 was leaking like a mofo. One less headache in the future...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...l-intercoolers

+1
    The main problem is that you have a rebuilt engine from SBT.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by oklagp1200r View Post
    The main problem is that you have a rebuilt engine from SBT.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information