Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    lets race....
    +1

how to measure a prop (video+tutorial)

Made a quick video on how to accurately measure a prop. The video touches on what the different angles mean but the main focus is how to measure a prop. I made the prop gauge out of some plexi I had around the shop. Hope this helps some of you guys out! Let me know if you have any questions.

lets race....
    +1
    err.... can a admin move this to the how to section

Great post...now if someone could post up one of how they go about bending them, that would be tits. Could save about 75-100 bucks each time I get it wrong. Especially seeing as how I'm sending mine off for repitch number 2 ASAP because I just got it wrong.

Kristian Keppel
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Made a quick video on how to accurately measure a prop. The video touches on what the different angles mean but the main focus is how to measure a prop. I made the prop gauge out of some plexi I had around the shop. Hope this helps some of you guys out! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank You so much this was so helpful. This is exactly what i needed.

+1
    nice video mike id like to see your new speed update after you repitch your prop to turn alittle more rpm's.

Kristian Keppel
    +1
    So let me see if i get this correct,
    leading edge = holeshot
    trailing edge = top speed
    and one last question how do you write the pitch: trailing edge/leading edge orrrrrrr leading edge/trailing edge ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    leading edge = holeshot
    and one last question how do you write the pitch: trailing edge/leading edge orrrrrrr leading edge/trailing edge ?????
    Example:
    Leading edge 13*
    Trailing edge 22*

Written 13/22 = Leading edge/Trailing edge

+1
    leading edge = holeshot

Kind of. You are more correct in that line of thinking than incorrect, but to say only one factor is affected by both the leading and trailing edge is not entirely accurate. It's how the prop works as a "whole". But yes, mainly the trailing edge will have the most effect on max RPM, but the leading edge has an effect on it too, just not as much as the trailing.

A good prop guy once told me that the best props trailing edges are within 5 degrees of their leading edges.

It's written as such: leading edge/trailing edge.

There are lots of different ways to bend a prop. Not just one, so to make a video covering all the ways would be kind of hard. Bending props is not something just anyone should do. When you are spending 300+ dollars on a prop, it is best to leave the pitching up to someone who has some experience doing it. If you want to practice bending them, get a copule chewed up props or ones that you can pick up for cheap to practice on.

It's almost like a trade, that someone in the business or who has lots of experience doing has to show you how to do. You may be able to get away just making very slight adjustments to the trailing edge to just barely dial in your RPMs, but if you are more than a couple hundred RPMs off your target, it's best to have a professional tweak it for you. Just my .02.

lets race....
    +1
    Thank you all for your kind words. I will make another video on how to pitch your own prop... but that wont be until next spring because I am headed back to school next week and I just want to ride as much as I can!

Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    nice video mike id like to see your new speed update after you repitch your prop to turn alittle more rpm's.
    Hi coco, I shot Dave at Impros an email describing my setup and my current rpms. He suggested a 13/20.5 or 13/21. I will try the 13/21 next spring and then I will adjust the pitch as needed. Keep in mind, my climate is a lot cooler and less humid than yours in Fl so if you get the skat your pitch will probably be different than mine.

My skat is a true 14/23 by the way..... not a 13/23 as advertised.

leading edge = holeshot
    Read what hitman wrote..... then read it again. Also, check out the how to section and look at some of the stickys

lets race....
    +1

prop guage

I've been getting a lot of PMs on how I made my prop gauge and if I am selling them. As of now, no I am not selling them but I will look into it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information