Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New GPR owner

New GPR owner

I've been lurking on this site for several weeks now and searched even longer for a decent ski. I ended up working out a deal for a '00 GP1200R with 110 hrs and 100% stock. Before a couple weeks ago, I knew very little about skis or even 2 strokes for that matter. My background was mainly in turbo Mitsu's (DSMs). After lots of reading through searching and actually getting my hands a bit dirty, I feel much more confident about how this thing ticks.

I took the ski out for the first time last weekend and was satisfied with it's performance. It did run a bit slow, only reading 58 mph on the stock speedo (I know, inaccurate). From what I've read, the speedos are a bit generous and should be up in the mid 60s, I think.

Once I got home I checked compression again, still 120 on all 3 (Snap-On gauge).
    I then moved on to the check out the prop and wear ring. Once I got all that off I noticed a very small area on the wear ring, but I'm not sure if that is enough to warrant a replacement. What I did notice is that the rear felt gasket on the pump shoe was blown out. Seems like an easy fix, I planned on sealing up the shoe anyway. Besides that, I have a D Plate on the way and I'm conflicted on what sealant to use (4200 or 5200) on the shoe.

My wife is hooked as well and wants one of her own. I think she took some pics too, if I find them I'll post them up.

So anyway...hi everyone.

Welcome to the forum! I picked up a 2000 gp1200r this season as my first ski as well. You're going to love it, they're a blast, and as I'm sure you're already realizing they're just as easy to spend money on as a car.

Lets see some pics!

Gainesville, Ga.. Lake Lanier ....... 2006 FXHO Cruiser
    If you are replacing the Catalitic Converter with a plate....have you considered 'going pre-mix?'

My GPR dropped two oil lines at about 80 hrs.....I got lucky and all is well so far....I installed the plate and went pre-mix at the same time....I installed 'wave eaters' today...I think the site is www.waveeaters.com

Bill

I'm still undecided about pre-mix. Wave eater clips are another thing on the to do list I forgot to mention.

And yes to the money going fast.

welcome to GH bro you will find plenty of info on anything you want to do just dont go crazy and start planning ur conversion ski yet LoL. just do the pre mix mod and be done with it if you want a reliable ski to ride and have fun the the following mods are a must and you prob already know

D-Plate w/ temp chip
    Waveclips
    Pre-Mix
    Carb rebuild or good once over
    sealed pump shoe

+1
    Welcome! You'll be happy to know that "crank walk" and timing belt failures are a thing of the past now that you've moved on to jet skis. haha jk.

I'm a former 95 GSX 16g/6 bolt owner. I spent many nights poking at my DSM in the early 2000's.

You'll love the ski! Post pics, keep everyone posted on whats going on!

As far as what sealant, it seems like 4200 is a good choice but I could be mistaken. Someone just posted a thread about 5200 pulling off the gel coat. But I could be wrong.

I actually owned 1 DSM, a 1G turbo wwd. Then moved on to 2 Galant VR4s and sold the last one a couple years ago.

Everything is still apart on the ski. I've been looking for 4200 locally but have only been able to find 5200. The big brown truck just dropped off my D plate as well.

Still working on pics....

Gainesville, Ga.. Lake Lanier ....... 2006 FXHO Cruiser
    I got 5200 at Home depot....they might have 4200..I think it was in the paint dept....WalMart carries Attwood and I think they have both 4200 and 5200 equivelent ...

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jason G. View Post
    I actually owned 1 DSM, a 1G turbo wwd. Then moved on to 2 Galant VR4s and sold the last one a couple years ago.

Everything is still apart on the ski. I've been looking for 4200 locally but have only been able to find 5200. The big brown truck just dropped off my D plate as well.

Still working on pics....

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Welcome to the forum! There is a ton of fantastic info and a ton of fantastic people willing to share it with you here.

Former 97 GSX owner here. Big TRE ported 16g with all the normall stuff. 12.2s in the 1/4.

Bumping my old thread here. I've been busy with work but managed to also work on the ski and ride it a good bit in the past month. After I took it out for the first time, I immediately took the pump out to inspect the wear ring. Well, one thing led to another and I ended up:

-Sealing the pump shoe
    -Reinforced the pump tunnel and replaced inserts
    -Installed D plate
    -Converted to pre-mix (glad I did)
    -Replaced drive-shaft hose
    -Installed wave-eaters

I still have a few things to do, but will get them done later this Winter. Mainly rebuild the carbs and paint.
    Here she is, I removed the graphics because one side was in bad shape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information