98 GSXL Fuel Issue?

Hey there,

Just wanted to start a thread on this one. I finished my build of my GSXL and it ran fine on the trailer connected to the hose. I tossed it in the water and have an issue.

During the build this is what I did to the fuel system..

Rebuilt both carbs
    Changed all fuel lines
    Changed pulse line
    Cleaned the fuel selector
    Fixed the fuel sender

When I put in the water, it started kinda so so but it did fire up. I am running premix on the new engine 32:1 for breakin. So 20 ounzes of minerial oil to 5 gallons of gas. I want to be sure everything is properly oiled up during the first 2 takes of gas then will run 40:1. I dont mind fouling some plugs for the saftey of the new engine.

Once I got it started, it was boggy BIG TIME.. I had to pump the throttle the entire time. Once it hit 4k rpms it screamed. I kept it under 5500rmps but it would die in the water. I change the plugs, they were good and wet but burning nicely, not lean at all. I tried again and same problem...

I noticed that if I pulled the choke while it was running and released, then WOT it stood right up then bogged down. The first thing I suspected is that I messed up and got my return and in fuel line mixed up, so I changed them on the carb but that only made it much worse. I also checked the main fuel filter, it was full of gas.

So for a complete sanity check, here is what I think my lines are.. Let me know if I goofed up, other than that I will be double checking all the connections and hose clamps tomorrow.

Fuel sender ON to Fuel Selector ON
    Fuel Selector OUT to Main Fuel Filter
    Main Fuel Filter to IN on carb
    Fuel Sender Res to Fuel Selector RES
    Fuel Selector RET to carb
    Fuel Selector Vent to vent lines
    Carb pulse to the engine

Also, on the engine, there are two places to connect hoses on the cyl - both next to eachother but facing oposite directions. Does it matter where the hose with the check valve goes or the pulse line go or are they interchangable?

Other question I have.. I had the cyls bored and not running OEM pistons but I am running a rebuilt OEM crank. I did not have it rejetted. So what should my high speed and low speed screws on both carbs be set at?

anyone? partial answers are cool too!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ccstamoulis View Post
    Hey there,

Just wanted to start a thread on this one. I finished my build of my GSXL and it ran fine on the trailer connected to the hose. I tossed it in the water and have an issue.

During the build this is what I did to the fuel system..

Rebuilt both carbs
    Changed all fuel lines
    Changed pulse line
    Cleaned the fuel selector
    Fixed the fuel sender

When I put in the water, it started kinda so so but it did fire up. I am running premix on the new engine 32:1 for breakin. So 20 ounzes of minerial oil to 5 gallons of gas. I want to be sure everything is properly oiled up during the first 2 takes of gas then will run 40:1. I dont mind fouling some plugs for the saftey of the new engine.

Once I got it started, it was boggy BIG TIME.. I had to pump the throttle the entire time. Once it hit 4k rpms it screamed. I kept it under 5500rmps but it would die in the water. I change the plugs, they were good and wet but burning nicely, not lean at all. I tried again and same problem...

I noticed that if I pulled the choke while it was running and released, then WOT it stood right up then bogged down. The first thing I suspected is that I messed up and got my return and in fuel line mixed up, so I changed them on the carb but that only made it much worse. I also checked the main fuel filter, it was full of gas.

So for a complete sanity check, here is what I think my lines are.. Let me know if I goofed up, other than that I will be double checking all the connections and hose clamps tomorrow.

Fuel sender ON to Fuel Selector ON there are 3 openings two at equal level..ON and RES and the one lowest is FUEL IN...did you get that right?
    Fuel Selector OUT to Main Fuel Filter
    Main Fuel Filter to IN on carb
    Fuel Sender Res to Fuel Selector RES
    Fuel Selector RET to carb
    Fuel Selector Vent to vent lines
    Carb pulse to the engine

Also, on the engine, there are two places to connect hoses on the cyl - both next to eachother but facing oposite directions. Does it matter where the hose with the check valve goes or the pulse line go or are they interchangable?one is for the rave solenoid and the other is your pulse line

Other question I have.. I had the cyls bored and not running OEM pistons but I am running a rebuilt OEM crank. I did not have it rejetted. So what should my high speed and low speed screws on both carbs be set at?
    Low Speed – 1 1/4 +/- 1/4
    High Speed – MAG 0 PTO 1/4

hope this helps

Sounds to me like all your hacking and pounding on that poor ski has caught up to ya tiger. The ski is telling you to back off it dosen't want to play anymore because you play too rough!

crzyjetsk, unless you want me to break your brand new GTX and tow you and your wakeboard into a tree (or maybe shoreline like you did to Kyle LOL) I would watch it on the tiger comments

On another note.. I double checked all fuel lines.. I found the issue. It was in the carbs, when I put the intake of the mag carb together I reversed the plastic damper with the cloth damper. I also found at a local tractor company they sell the skinny fuel hose. So I replaced all the accel hoses, put back together and everything is running great! I retuned to airborne's settings too. Let the break-in (not breaking) begin!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    those carb settings are found in one of the stickies at the top of the two stroke section....

Thread Information