Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cavitation

Cavitation

We have a friend that has an 08 RXT with an aftermarket grate, impeller and intake that was installed last year. This past weekend it started cavitating bad. It hits the rev limiter immediately and will do that until you get up to about 10 mph or so. The most clearance on the wear ring is .006 thou. with no visible wear. The wear ring was changed a couple of weeks ago. We can't find anything that's causing this. Any ideas? The only thing that was done prior to this last weekend is tightening up the SC clutch but can't imagine that has any thing to do with this problem. What are we missing that's causing this? Thanks.

+1
    Check the carbon ring/seal.

+1
    I would say it is your boot the has shrunk due to heat and time. A quick fix is to get some good zip ties and tie them along the two ridges of the boot to flex them a little. You need some pretty good ones because if not they will break...

I couldn't find any decent ones to hold so I just used a clamp on it and the problem has gone away since...I don't recommend using a clamp though since I don't think it has been tried out for alot of abuse and don't know what adverse effects it can cause so go with a couple good zip ties and those shouldn't hurt anything..at worst they'll just break off. Try it out and let us know if that helped.

Or you can just buy a new boot.

+1
    More than likely the wear ring. Inspect everything closely. If the wear is being changed that much the driver may be running in shallow areas eating it up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    More than likely the wear ring. Inspect everything closely. If the wear is being changed that much the driver may be running in shallow areas eating it up.
    Nah I don't think it's the wear ring since I experienced this myself. I changed a couple wear rings thinking it was the problem but I ran upon a thread that someone mentioned putting zip ties on the boot so I was game for any suggestions and tried it out and it worked! the only problems like I mentioned was that the zip ties kept breaking so I just put a hose clamp just to tighten it enough to widen the boot a little...not too much though.

+1
    Pull up on the engine, and check your
    Engine mounts

+1
    Check this thread out and see if it helps.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...p+ties+on+boot

when i got my very first rxp i had the same prob. wear ring looked perfect so i tryed everything (and the zip ties in the boot is a exelent sugestion it is a quick way to check the carbon seal). but mine ended up being the wear ring. it was worn perfectly smooth (no groves or rings so it looked good) but when i changed it it was like a new machine; just sayin if you haven't actualy measured wear you may want too. sometimes it is hard to tell from looking

Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    ??? I wrote in the original post that the wear ring wasn't bad. That was my first suspect but the wear ring is like new. Thanks.

+1
    If you don't think it's the wear ring then try the other suggestions. You can't tell a wear ring is bad by looking at it generally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information