Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

D-Plate Success Stories

There has been a lot of advice to remove cats and install d-plates. What would be nice is to hear some success/failure stories. Anyone?

well the cat can fall apart and clog the exhaust system so you can either replace with another cat and start the cycle over again or get a d-plate like the skis without emmisions that yamaha made.

I understand why, the reason for my question is to find out how often the d-plate resolves problems. Being new to this site one thing I have noticed is that people often are given advice to install d-plates but they rarely post results. My ski came with a d-plate so my thought here is to get people that made the change to post before symptoms and after results.

the only symptom would be a failed cat causing ridability issues. most people replace the cat b4 this happens. the benefits out weigh the need for keeping it...
    lower exhaust temps
    quicker engine accel
    using other 2 stroke oils
    better flow, etc etc...

there could be overlapping problems, bogging, poor top end rpm, exhaust codes etc, this is just one item that gets checked for failure...
    just something else to get checked off the list... once a D plate is installed correctly there are no other issues resulting from having one installed...

+1
    Well, I for one have never had a D plate failure... how's that for a success story? That's about as good as it gets.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Well, I for one have never had a D plate failure... how's that for a success story? That's about as good as it gets.

Exactly.

Remove the cat and you'll never have a cat failure. It's pretty logical. A D-plate is a solution to a problem.

+1
    The D plate relieved us from the pain of a cat con failure. However, many people reported a loss of about 50 rpms when the plate was installed. Some purest who were searching for top speed did not want to sacrifice the rpms.

Sure, your engine exhaust (and presumeably your engine) runs cooler, but the sonic wave in the exhaust pipe is slower when a D plate is installed.... I think this is why there is a loss of RPM's.....some scavenging is lost.

Didn't R&D come up with a D plate with a slightly smaller D shaped hole in their plate to increase backpressure/heat and therefore regain the RPM's lost vs the standard OEM D plate? I think this is their reasoning, but may be wrong on this point.

As you probably know, we don't have the cat in the UK, so I presume Yamaha would make the OEM plate the optimum size to run the engine at maximum power. Then again, this is Yamaha we're talking about, so who knows what they designed it to do!

+1
    There's another small but additional gain from removing the catcon...your lightening the ski some 15-16 lbs increasing your power to wt. ratio ever so slightly...same as when we test our ski's top speed with as little as fuel possible... maybe 2/10s increase?

I see where you all are coming from, my 34 years of automotive diagnostics were kicking in. Still getting used to how simple these ski's are and how few the fixes are. It's just that very few people post the results of all the help you guys provide. Drives me nuts but then again they are probably out on the water rather then at their computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information