Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Piston seized

+1

Unhappy Piston seized

I picked up 96 1050 with the pto piston seized. I pulled the pump, exhaust, heads and unbolted the cylinders but can't get the cylinder to come off. The other two cylinders are free but this one is locked up tight. Not getting any movement from the piston or cylinder. Any tips?

+1
    dump some oil down that cyl and let it work its way past the rings.. then try pulling it.

Grab that cylinder with both hands and pull up as a helper taps down on the piston with the end of a wooden handled sledge hammer.

Can you get the cylinder to lift at all? If you can get it up off the case even a little get some wood shims under it so you have some room to push piston further down. Be carefull how hard you pound on top of piston, you can mushroom it into the bore making it even harder to get out. As already stated, try getting some penetrating oil in there and soak it.

If all that fails there are a few other things to try but they start getting pretty extreme and best left to a last resort.

I had this problem on my 99 slx, I used a half a can of pb blaster over the course of three days and it didnt do too much, the rings were frozen to the cylinder.

+1
    I have let the penetrating oil soak for a couple days. The other two cylinders came off with no problem. I have a feeling the rings are frozen because the oil I have soaking on the top hasn't moved. Still can't get any movement from the piston or cylinder. Anything left to try.

Ues a torch to heat up the cylinder, then whack the piston down with a piece of wood and a BFH...
    It wont hurt the rod, as the seized piston will absorb the force/ impact..

Well, here are the more extreme measures. But be very very carefull with the first. Muriatic acid eats up aluminum and rust real quick but barely touches steel. You will need to get the oil out of the cylinder first and then with an eye dropper dribble small amounts of muriatic acid around the edge of the piston. It will eat up on the edges of the piston and hopefully the corrosion and rust along the sides and free it up. Be very carefull not to use to much because if it gets down in the engine case it will eat it up also.

2nd option, use either a hole saw or just a larger drill bit to drill out the top of the piston. With a hole saw you can take out most of the top at once, with a drill bit just drill a bunch of little holes and then break out the top with a chisel and hammer. Once you get an opening in the top you can reach in with a hack saw blade and cut several slits in the piston skirt vertically. This should relieve the pressure on the cylinder wall and free things up. If its still stuck you can try and work out one of the sections of piston you slit with a chisel and hammer. Once one of the sections comes out you should be able to work out the rest of the piston.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    I have let the penetrating oil soak for a couple days... I have a feeling the rings are frozen because the oil I have soaking on the top hasn't moved.

Still can't get any movement from the piston or cylinder...
    What are you using for penetrating oil?

PB Blaster or Kroil

Rather than dumping muriatic acid in there, just coat the thing in oil and hit as hard as possible with the biggest hammer you have....

Probably would want to put a chunk of wood in there, but thats somewhat optional depending on the pistons location.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information