Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

need help with oil purchase. been to walmart, pep boys, cant find api sf or sg oil

like title says. gotta guy coming tonight to look at my ski, in my listing i stated oil has been changed and need to do so asap. kawi dealer will be closed by the time i am out of work. walmart had no marine oil, or compatible oil as far as i could tell. pep boys had some castrol motorcycle oil, but shows 4 quart bottles only in stock. anyone have any input of a chain store or what not where i can get proper oil? i have targets, kmarts, advance auto, autozones in the ct area

+1
    guess you have now learnt why the truth is always the best way to speak and advertise!!

Go to walmart and get some Rotella T6 synthetic 5w40 $19 a gallon

It meets API: SM, SL, SJ, SH, not SF or SG but it is JASO MA
    I use this oil in everything I own: truck, mercedes, motorcycle, and ultra
    Even my lawnmower and pressure washer

+1
    day late and a dollar short... i was able to get out of work a bit earlier than expected. picked up 5 quarts of kawi oil. for future reference i will try the rotella though, i used the older diesel stuff in my atv's for years and it ran premo till the day i sold it.

wish there was a sticky with tried and proven oils used in kawi 4 strokes.

thanks a bunch

The SF and SG are older specs before some newer additives were put in the oil and will work fine.
    The SH, SJ, SL, SM are newer specs with more additives and are not recommended unless it has the JASO MA rating (basically a motorcycle spec oil). This is listed in the owners manual although it's a little confusing without the explanation.

Stay away from the "SM" API rating unless you have a newer car that is designed to work without ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) in the oil. They are changing motor oil for emissions issues now. The EPA has ordered the reduction of ZDDP in motor oils because it can interact with or destroy catalictic converters.

Since Motorcycles don't have catalictic converters they can leave the ZDDP in motorcycle motor oil. I have heard that using the latest "SM" motor oil in something like an old muscle car is actually causing the cams shafts to fail from abnormal wear.

Since most Jet Skis have an engine with motorcycle lineage and no catalictic converters. I would think it would be best to use something formulated for Motorcycles. Oils that are formulated for motorcycles also have friction modifiers as most motorcycles have wet clutches (this doesn't pertain to us).

My personal preference for motor oil (after all the research) for my Jet Ski is "Mobil 1 Racing 4T" It's a 10W-40 fully synthetic Motorcycle oil. It's SG, SH and JASO-MA rated.

Really any motor oil with SG and/or SH will have the higher levels of ZDDP.

Disclaimer - This is all my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it!

+1
    The only reason I stay away from motorcycle oil is because most of it is designed for wet clutch applications...which generally means LESS anti wear agents in the oil to prevent slipping. Again, personal preference. Nothing more/less

However, I firmly believe that you can pretty much run whatever oil you want in these motors (within reason obviously). There will be "other" problems that will be a bigger deal than an oil related problem based on oil type, brand etc etc.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    However, I firmly believe that you can pretty much run whatever oil you want in these motors (within reason obviously). There will be "other" problems that will be a bigger deal than an oil related problem based on oil type, brand etc etc.
    FINALLY Thanks Doug!

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nGlenn View Post
    Stay away from the "SM" API rating unless you have a newer car that is designed to work without ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) in the oil. They are changing motor oil for emissions issues now. The EPA has ordered the reduction of ZDDP in motor oils because it can interact with or destroy catalictic converters.

Since Motorcycles don't have catalictic converters they can leave the ZDDP in motorcycle motor oil. I have heard that using the latest "SM" motor oil in something like an old muscle car is actually causing the cams shafts to fail from abnormal wear.

Since most Jet Skis have an engine with motorcycle lineage and no catalictic converters. I would think it would be best to use something formulated for Motorcycles. Oils that are formulated for motorcycles also have friction modifiers as most motorcycles have wet clutches (this doesn't pertain to us).

My personal preference for motor oil (after all the research) for my Jet Ski is "Mobil 1 Racing 4T" It's a 10W-40 fully synthetic Motorcycle oil. It's SG, SH and JASO-MA rated.

Really any motor oil with SG and/or SH will have the higher levels of ZDDP.

Disclaimer - This is all my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it!

How can you say that motorcycles don't have catalytic converters?? Every bike made in the last several years has them. On some models they are located before the muffler and on other they are part of the muffler internals. You also state that motorcycle oils are formulated for "wet clutch" use an that that doesn't pertain to us.... What type of clutch to you think is in most PWC ?? The only fully synthetic oil safe to use in super charged wet clutch PWC is a motorcycle oil !! The Mobil 1 oil you mention is an excellent choice for both bikes and PWC.

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    You also state that motorcycle oils are formulated for "wet clutch" use an that that doesn't pertain to us.... What type of clutch to you think is in most PWC ?? The only fully synthetic oil safe to use in super charged wet clutch PWC is a motorcycle oil !!
    I'd really like to know what type of PWC you have that has a clutch!! You must really be able to do a water roost starting out in 1st gear. Is it a 5 speed or 6 speed???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information