Thread: 1996 GTX

Fixing a 1996 GTX for a friend

Hey guys! First time posting in the Seadoo section, so try to take it easy on me! lol.

A friend of my mom has a '96 GTX and it acted a little weird last time she went out. She asked if I could take a look at it, so I said sure. It is now sitting in my driveway and I wanted to ask your guys' opinion before I tear into anything.

The history of the ski is this, she has had it about 9 years, and has only been out on it 10 times (no joke). Twice a few seasons, once a few seasons, and not at all a few seasons. She brought it to a shop (I'm unfamiliar with them so I can't attest to their work) to have it winterized last October. Before having it winterized she claims it ran absolutely awesome. She went to use it 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it would not get over ~25 mph.

So my first thought is when is the last time the carbs were rebuilt. She has no idea, so I'm assuming that needs done. I go out to take some pictures of it to post in here and found something interesting...

Here is where it gets interesting. I looked into the jet pump to see how the impeller looked. I couldn't really see anything since it was so sunny out, so I turned the flash on my camera, took a picture, and saw this:

I then proceeded to start taking the jet pump apart to remove the sticks.

So how much of the speed can be attributed to those sticks in the jet pump? What would you guys do to the ski at this point in time?

It should also be mentioned that all she wants to do is sell it. I looked up the NADA value and it seems like around $1,000 is the going rate. What do you guys think this ski could sell for with the trailer assuming it runs well? I'm thinking if removing the sticks fixes it, there is no need to rebuild the carbs if she is just going to sell it...

Thanks,

Matt

+1
    Looks like you found the problem with the speed.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    the grey fuel lines need to be replaced and carbs rebuilt also clean and inspect the fuel selector, the ethanol in the gas deteriorates the grey fuel lines causing the carb inner filters to get clogged and lean your engine, causing it to seize.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    the grey fuel lines need to be replaced and carbs rebuilt also clean and inspect the fuel selector, the ethanol in the gas deteriorates the grey fuel lines causing the carb inner filters to get clogged and lean your engine, causing it to seize.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the Tempo/green gook/whatever you want to call them fuel lines since they were in my Polaris when I got it. I'll takl to her to see what she wants to do. Like I said, she just wants to sell it and be done with it, so the least amount of money she has to spend to get it decent running condition the better.

+1
    job like that usually runs $280, thats complete fuel system replacement, including carb rebuilds.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    job like that usually runs $280, thats complete fuel system replacement, including carb rebuilds.
    I'm doing all the work, but I'm not sure whether or not she is going to want to spend the money to replace the fuel lines or not. She wanted me to look at it to fix the "won't go over 20mph" problem, so I don't know if she is going to want to invest more into it to buy new fuel lines and rebuild carbs... I'll talk with her tomorrow and see what she says.

+1
    its only going to be like $15 bucks for the fuel lines and
    about $70 for 2 rebuild kits, you can go with the aftermarket if your in a pinch.
    and a few bucks for carb cleaner.

Thread Information