Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery question?

I have a Yuasa Yumicron battery that came new in my ski in 08.
    a few months later it was swapped out with an AGM.
    Question is, is this battery any good? it has always maintained 12V, I only put it on the battery charger maybe a few times thinking it was going into use. even charged it up for my neighbor to use months ago...
    for shits and giggle checked it this morning and still 12v+, so popped it on the 2A battery charger for liquid acid type, and its reading 13.68 on the charger...
    I know it will settle down when it cools after a hot charge.

so is this good to put back into service?
    Damn thing is like new...

+1
    its more about the load capacity left on batteries

as long as the sides arent swelling up and there is no leakage you are probably fine

I usually swap batteries out every 2 years here in Texas because of the heat and humidity- whether they show bad or not

unfortunately this battery wasn`t really put into service that long before it saw shelf duty...
    it was always stored indoor on the shelf. the case looks like new, no swelling.
    Now that is been on the charge for several hours, I`m seeing 14.38V while hooked up. it is bubbling like normal...

I don`t know how long a battery this size/capacity can remain in storage without use... as I wrote b4, the voltage didn`t go below 12v the whoile resting period... but I hear ya on the load... normally I would load test an automotive battery... thanks Rich ...

+1
    Personally, I wouldn't trust it... Batteries are cheap compared to getting stuck out and needing one...
    Grab a small stack of $20's from under your mattress and order a new one over the winter! You cheap bastard!

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't trust it... Batteries are cheap compared to getting stuck out and needing one...
    Grab a small stack of $20's from under your mattress and order a new one over the winter! You cheap bastard!

+1
    It may be good it may be sheeping. Stick it in the lawn mower and call it a day..

so far it`s holding good voltage, since last nights charge. This battery has always held voltage when checked, just wasnt` used...

+1
    Find out the CA and load test it. Email the company if it is not listed on the top or side decals, etc.

Remember that after a battery is charged is has a surface charge that must be drained off by a load before testing. A good battery tester will have the info either on it or in the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by NJJer View Post
    Find out the CA and load test it. Email the company if it is not listed on the top or side decals, etc.

Remember that after a battery is charged is has a surface charge that must be drained off by a load before testing. A good battery tester will have the info either on it or in the instructions.
    no way for me to really load test this battery... I don`t own a toaster anymore since I retired from auto wrenching.
    I can say that a standard wet cell charger will bring the battery up faster than a battery tender...

well maybe this reply will help others:
    even tho the battery holds a charge, I looked into the cells and saw that the plates were coming apart. the case was not swollen, it looks as if they were just getting disolved... oh well, off to the recycling yard...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information