Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starting to mod my skis... am I on the right track?

Hi everybody! This forum has been infinitely helpful to me over the past couple of years as I am new to the PWC world. I have a couple GPRs and I have ridden them for a season and a half, and I figure it's time to start tinkering with them

First ski is a 2001 GP1200R. This is the one I am willing to go crazy with as I get the fundage to do so. I'm thinking a full port job and possible even a big bore setup from WCPorting in the future, but for now, I'm just going to get some basic bolt-ons and safety/reliability mods. Here's what I'm planning on ordering:

- Pump Tunnel Reinforcement
    - Pump Seal Kit
    - R&D Ride Plate (will send to Jim's for modding in the off season)
    - R&D Intake Grate (single bar)
    - D-Plate and sensor chip
    - Riva Flame Arrestor Kit
    - Riva Boyseen Reed Stuffer Kit
    - Jetworks Kit
    - Carb Rebuild and Stock Head Milling to be done in the off-season

For the GP1300R... I want to do basic safety/reliability mods, I'm not really concerned with making it uber-fast or anything.

- Pump Tunnel Reinforcement
    - Pump Seal Kit
    - R&D Ride Plate
    - R&D Intake Grate
    - D-Plate and sensor chip
    - Jetworks Kit (maybe)

My goals are increased top speed and better holeshot performance... I ride in lakes around here that can get pretty choppy, so that is a consideration - but I also ride in pretty glassy conditions quite frequently on the same lakes (it's all about when I'm out... weekday evenings are glassy, weekends are pretty rough). I want to make sure I can keep up with all the RXPs, RXTs, 250Xs, and maybe even RXP-Xs riding around here. I'm also just interested in making my donut spinning sessions more entertaining.

Am I on the right track here? What kind of top speed will I be looking at on the 1200R with those mods?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

seems like you're on the right track, you'll probably gain 4mph with those mods on the 1200r but I'm just estimating. you can hang with those jetskis if you're boat stays hooked up better than theirs, it depends on the water conditions too.
    just wondering where are you ordering your parts?

Moderated
    hey abe

seems like you are headed in the right direction.

you may want to use vf3 reeds instead of using boysen stuffers, i love my vf3's and as for your carbs, drop osideebill a pm as he does wonderful carb work that i am happy to vouch for any day of the week.

also dont get a single bar grate unless you ride open water, use a dual bar 1200 as they are 1-2mph faster with good hookup

Good to hear! That's the kind of info a noob like me needs. I'll look in to the VF3 reeds, it's a little more of an investment, but searching around here tells it should be well worth it!

As far as where I'm buying the parts - I have a WTB thread in the classifieds here, but I will likely buy them through the shop that does the work (I'd be insane to not go to WC Porting, as they are about 90 min from me).

I'm also searching around reading about impellers... that's a complicated ball of wax right there! I think the 1200 might get a new impeller in this go-around - but I'll discuss that upgrade with whomever does the install work on the ski.

- Abe

I rode a friend's Kawi ultra 250 today. Ok... What do I have to do to get a holeshot like that?

It would not gps any faster than either of my stock GPRs, but it got to it's top speed much, much faster... I want that. Badly.

+1
    Nothing on that list will help you with that. That Ultra has a much better pump, and 100 more HP than you, and a hull that cuts through rough water like a knife through hot butter.

Pump Tunnel seal kit, reinforcement kit (get the premade one), jetworks, 12r grate should be done. A concord 13/19 would be a good prop for your pump and will make a decent change in holeshot.

You can do the above, with no other changes, and at least feel a ton less sluggish off the line.

If you ride a ton of rough water, do the rideplate work LAST. Your stock plate is by far the best all around choice for a rough water plate. The aftermarket plates all will induce some bounce.

You need to understand that a lot of stuff you read about top speed is done for gps numbers, and not real world conditions.

Would an '05+ HO pump help?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abe View Post
    Would an '05+ HO pump help?
    Yes it will help. The HO pump opens the door to a better impeller style, better midrange which has been proven time and time again, and a little bit better top end. To get a better hole shot you should talk to impeller tuners who can set you up with an impeller that will improve your hole shot at the expense of top end. You have to remember though that the comparisons are based upon before and after installations of these mods on a GPR.

You will have a better hole shot with the HO pump, but it still will not defeat the 100HP advantage that the Kawi has over the GPR.

Hydrotoys has the best course to follow if you want to improve your boats performance.... but do not expect miracles unless you want to invest serious money. All in all, I'm sure you will be happy with the mods.

Moderated
    the 2 inch extension is what helps with hookup the most....not the 05 spec pump stator per se.

2" extension is wicked but if you got the coin go a full pump upgrade.....

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information