Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

9.5 AFR during hard acceleration -R2, C3, PowerShot. I have a question....

I took a 5 day vacation to Lake Nacimiento - 750' elevation, 95 - 105 degrees air, 80 water. Each day got hotter and hotter and while riding I noticed that my AFR's were going richer than usual - 10.8 at WOT(8300 rpms), 12.1 at 5000 rpm cruise, and continued to lower each day (I tried lowering the FPR from 54 to 46 but didn't seem to do much). At times I noticed a hesitation when I would peg it . Upon this hesitation I then noticed at hard acceleration my AFR's were 9.5. So I'm assuming the hesitation was from a very rich condition at hard acceleration? I rode the ski in the ocean (72 deg. air, 63 water) in the last couple of weeks and had much much leaner AFR conditions. I know I can adjust the "acceleration" mode on the PowerShot along with WOT (or red) mode, I'm just curious as to how I could end up SO RICH when it was "perfect" 2 weeks earlier.
    As a side note...I had no GIO after 45 gallons(gas) of riding, which I normally have...hmm?

Question one... How low can you safely lower the FPR to adjust AFR?
    Question two...This "hesitation" sounds like a rich condition, yes?
    Question three...Does the density of air at higher elevation richen your AFR's?
    Question four... Will decreasing the fuel in the the PowerShot "acceleration" mode be the proper way to address this problem, along with the FPR or without?

Mods in sig. below.

Thanks guys,
    Gary

+1
    Fouled plugs? Would explain the miss/hesitation and unburnt fuel would make it seem rich.

+1
    Plugs were 4 hours old (riding hours)....

Question one... How low can you safely lower the FPR to adjust AFR? - I don"t think the FPR is going to address this. A FPR will allow more pressure for more demand from an injector within a limit, but the Powershot should be used to address your issue in my opinion. I'm not positive you even need a FPR in the first place.
    Question two...This "hesitation" sounds like a rich condition, yes? IMO, Yes
    Question three...Does the density of air at higher elevation richen your AFR's? IMO yes Less air density, same fuel - RICH. At high altitudes you might even have to add some timing.
    Question four... Will decreasing the fuel in the the PowerShot "acceleration" mode be the proper way to address this problem, along with the FPR or without? No Clue as to exactly what to do with the Powershot, don't have one

Okay, I am done editting this now LOL

+1
    Heat Soak?

Check for exhaust leaks. Running rich was the first thing I noticed when my exhaust leaks developed. You end up suckin the exhaust air into your intake.

+1
    Thanks SHOBIZ.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Heat Soak?
    I don't think so. I have the RivaCooler so I believe the cooling is sufficient. The only heat soak I have ever experienced is at WOT when rpm's drop a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    Check for exhaust leaks. Running rich was the first thing I noticed when my exhaust leaks developed. You end up suckin the exhaust air into your intake.
    I will keep an eye out for this. I know what you're talking about, a few months ago I ended riding around with 3 gallons of gas sloshing around in the bottom of the hull when I had a leak in my TBM fuel tank....talk about choking the motorr.

+1
    My ski is also experiencing this hesitation upon acceleration at times...it's been doing it since I went reflash, even when I was running lean at WOT, with it on the 4-5 preset setting

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dawg222 View Post
    My ski is also experiencing this hesitation upon acceleration at times...it's been doing it since I went reflash, even when I was running lean at WOT, with it on the 4-5 preset setting
    Is that setting on the Red mode, yellow-blue mode, or the red-blue mode? Have you tried adjusting any of these?

I've never had this "hesitation" feeling before and I've had the R2/C3 for 6 months or so.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information