Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Toluene to raise octane for SC 4 Tecs?

I was reading in one of the Harley mags, and they recommended Toluene to raise octane vs octane boosters, they even gave this recipe, has anyone heard or tried this? Is this even safe?
    10% Toluene and 90% 92 octane gas = 94.5 octane. 20/80 mix = 96.5 Octane 30/70 mix = 98.6 octane

+1
    why would you want to? you only need 91 in a stock 4 tec. raising octane will do nothing except cost you money.

+1
    Raising boost raises compession, higher octane fuel, better more controlled burn, btw I'm not stock

I've heard this from a buddy I work with he's done a little bit of research on it since he moved to new mexico and your lucky if you get 91 at the pump. I know elevation plays with power and octane but I think I'm going to give it a shot. It seems like a fairly cheap alternative to an off the shelf booster and like you said you can decide the overall level. I would look into something as far as lubricating the fuel as I would have to think it might dry out o-rings and whatnot.

+1
    You might want to look into this product. It's got a great reputation and I recommend you talk to Brian (the owner)440-821-9040 (trust me, once you talk to him and he explains the product, he knows his stuff) Jerry Should call him.
    I run his 4 stroke formula in my cars and RXP and the 2 stroke formula in my 2 stoke skis.
    I pulled the heads on my 2 strokes and could not see any cylinder wear or skuffing at all.
    I run a 200 psi 650SX ski with the Aces IV in it and the is no piston damage or detonation at all.
    It also has the upper cylinder lubrication.
    His website is not fancy, does not need to be.

http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/931760.htm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    I was reading in one of the Harley mags, and they recommended Toluene to raise octane vs octane boosters, they even gave this recipe, has anyone heard or tried this? Is this even safe?
    10% Toluene and 90% 92 octane gas = 94.5 octane. 20/80 mix = 96.5 Octane 30/70 mix = 98.6 octane
    The last time I bought toluene it cost $11+ a gallon. Race gasolines cost less.

+1
    There is no advantage to raising the octane on a 4-tec unless you're running 20+ psi boost.

you'll get the highest performance running the lowest octane you can.

here's a pretty good read:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasol...section-1.html

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    you'll get the highest performance running the lowest octane you can.

here's a pretty good read:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasol...section-1.html
    I agree 100%, and I don't use his products for the Octane, but for the top end lubrication and fuel system cleaning abilities. With the history of Valves sticking in these engines, He sold me on his product.

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    I agree 100%, and I don't use his products for the Octane, but for the top end lubrication and fuel system cleaning abilities. With the history of Valves sticking in these engines, He sold me on his product.
    i'm gonig to try out the stuff you linked. i've been running sentry fuel treatment with great luck in both my ski and ATV. my ATV requires 93 octane because of all the motor modifications, and non-ethanol blended 93 is hard to come by around here, so i've been looking into fuel additives. the throttle response is so much better with non-ethanol blended fuel, and i won't run leaded race fuel because i do so much A/F testing and don't want to kill my O2 sensors (v-twin, so i use two at a time for individual cylinder tuning). the options are limited, but good fuel treatments can make up for the crappy ethanol fuel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information