recently installed stage 1 on 185hp gtx, only turning 7250 rpms... SC perhaps?

My 2004 GTX supercharged ski has about 100 hours on it. Yesterday I picked it up from the shop with a new riva stage 1 installed, along with OPAS delete, new wear ring, and new plugs. I was expecting to go 65ish, but only made it to about 62. I think it should max out around 7500 rpms, but I only saw about 7250. What might be the issue? The mechanic did the finger test on the SC and said that it was in good shape, but I've also read on here that you need to rebuild your SC after 100 hours. The rebuild kit seems pricey, could it be something else? Should I just wait until the end of the season and have the winter to work on the SC issue? If I were to rebuild the SC should I consider just getting a different SC all together?

Thanks for the help.

+1
    i would recommend you get that super charger out and get it rebuilt ASAP. you have a ticking time bomb with the ceramic washers on that charger and you should have it rebuilt at 100 hours.

You may not be seeing 7500 RPM due to air and water conditions. Also did you have a new prop put in with the Stage 1?

+1
    Check for boost leaks and your ski does not have washers, but it could be slipping.

+1
    I agree with skipSC.

I have an 03 GTX SC with 82 hours and I can feel the supercharger slipping... I daresay it's time for a rebuild.

My max speed is about 58mph turning 7500rpm.

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Laxcrazy23 View Post
    i would recommend you get that super charger out and get it rebuilt ASAP. you have a ticking time bomb with the ceramic washers on that charger and you should have it rebuilt at 100 hours.

You may not be seeing 7500 RPM due to air and water conditions. Also did you have a new prop put in with the Stage 1?
    I did put a new prop in. I think i'm going to take my chances for the next 2 weeks, but I'll get the SC as soon as i put them away for the year. It was about 88* (air) and 90* (water), and I was running with a full tank. I GPS'd 60 mph with the full tank. It was going a little faster as I ran it down to about a 1/2 tank, but I didn't GPS it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ted dibiase View Post
    My 2004 GTX supercharged ski has about 100 hours on it. Yesterday I picked it up from the shop with a new riva stage 1 installed, along with OPAS delete, new wear ring, and new plugs. I was expecting to go 65ish, but only made it to about 62. I think it should max out around 7500 rpms, but I only saw about 7250. What might be the issue? The mechanic did the finger test on the SC and said that it was in good shape, but I've also read on here that you need to rebuild your SC after 100 hours. The rebuild kit seems pricey, could it be something else? Should I just wait until the end of the season and have the winter to work on the SC issue? If I were to rebuild the SC should I consider just getting a different SC all together?

Thanks for the help.
    Lots of issues here. The rpm limit is 7650 on the GTX 185's. 65 mph with the right conditions and tuning is not a problem. Is your stage 1 intake Riva's 3" or a 4" kanaflex setup? What impeller did you install? Your SC is a potential time bomb with the stock ceramic washers. If they come apart, you WILL spend alot more money, extended down time, and ass pain! Purchase the oem SC kit (with metal washers) from Jerry and send him the SC for rebuild - ASAP. You'll have it back in a week!! I wouldn't wait to do this very important SC upgrade........ Yes, you can drop in a Green wheel SC impleller, for a small boost increase. X type chargers require getting into the engine and changing the 17 tooth gear to a 16 tooth gear, more money, more ass pain.

The little 185's are great family ski's but, 7650 rpm limit, cast pistons - vice forged, SC gearing, smaller impeller diameter, smaller pump, smaller pump tunnel, etc. make it cost prohibited to get to Stage 2+ performance. Check out JPEConsults 185 Build thread.

Banned User
    +1
    When we installed a new prop (Solas 13/18 ) onto my father's old 04 GTX, he was only turning 7000 and was pissed! He was complaining that it had no pull, felt sluggish, and "Just take the fuggin thing out NOW!"

I was about to repitch the hell out of the prop when I overheard him say he added a little oil after we did the oil change (same time as prop swap)...I asked how much after I painstakingly added/removed/started/removed/started/added/etc until I got the level PERFECT between the bends...He says "Just a little"...I check the level, its over an inch above the top bend on the friggin stick!!!!!

After I yelled at him and removed the excess oil, we took it out...I"LL BE DAMNED that thing pulled 7400's, so I only had to tweek the prop a tad (-1/2mm) and he was right at 7600...

MORAL of the story, check the oil level also.....But if its got ceramics, yank the charger before you run it again...

+1
    What Danny said!!!!!!! I saw the same issue after dealer service..... now I do it all myself. Excellent advice Danny!!!!!!!!!!

good advice and info. Thanks for the help guys. I have read the thread about jpeconsults 185 ski, well not all of it but some of it. It seems like it has been a pain in the butt from start to finish. Has he ever had that thing running right? I went with Riva's stock stage 1. I doubt i will ever do anything more to that ski, but I would like for it to run mid-high 60s. I learned my lesson on modding through my Subaru. On my jet skis I just want them to be a little bit faster. It is so easy to become numb to the speeds though. Thanks for everyone's insight!!!

Thread Information